z

Young Writers Society

Essay

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:04 pm
GDrama97 says...

I am wanting to improve my essay writing. Does anyone know what I can do to achieve that?

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:10 pm
Kale says...

Have you posted an essay up on YWS? It doesn't have to be an essay you wrote for school, and you can have fun with the topic. Essays are generally structured the same, so a lot of the issues you have with a fun essay are likely to crop up in the essays you write for school.

Pretty much the best way to improve writing essays is practice and getting feedback.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

Reviews: 3
Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:29 pm
GrayLynx says...

1. Read essays. Articles on the internet is a good way to start, as the classics are kind of hard.
2. You don't have to read them yet, but here are some famous esssayist:

-George Orwell
-Ralph Walo Emerson
-Virginia Woolf

Look up Emerson the most.

3. Keep in mind that will writing stories is for entertainment, essays are about persuasion. Only write about topics you care to persuade people on. Follow the addage "If you don't have something to say, then don't say it."

4. Think of your audience as attentive and rational, this will encourage you to provide good points.

5. Write what you know. Although essays are about persuasion, when you want to practice, start with subjects you know the most before moving to subjects you just want to know.

Never express yourself more clearly than you are able to think.
— Niels Bohr