z

Young Writers Society

Some more science fair help.

91 Reviews

Reviews: 91
Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:47 pm
Redbox275 says...

My problem for my experiment says, "Does the midsole material of a running shoe affect force?". I tested this by using a force plate to measure it in Newtons (N). My purpose for this was to find which shoe would prevent the least amount of injury in the foot according to the least amount of force. The less force the lower the impact and injury but I think I am all wrong. I didn't want to redo precedure and testing so I am wondering instead what is a purpose to finding the amount of force?

806 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 806
Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:02 am
Aley says...

The purpose for finding out about the amount of force is exactly as you state it. The less force on the sole of the foot, the less damage through impact. You can look up research on runners to find out that running on cement and running on a treadmill actually creates a minimal amount of damage which, over time, can cause bad knees. This is from the force of landing on the shoes. The way they get around it is those cycle looking things where you stand up and "step."

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:35 pm
Monsters says...

"I didn't want to redo precedure and testing so I am wondering instead what is a purpose to finding the amount of force?"

The amount of force directed away from the leg prevents injury while the force exerted from the ground to the leg is the rebound of pressure that puts stress on the leg. The runners shoe's design is not flat for this reason, some have springs which act like shocks on cars so the car doesn't bounce in other words it absorbs the impact. Others have designs which are shaped in a way where if the shoe is not worn down the outsides of it expand out while the insides of it is absorbed naturally by the time it hits the ground; http://www.ransacker.co.uk/wp-content/u ... nsei-3.gif . But do not say your purpose is to measure injury, instead your purpose should be to measure the pressure of the force exerted upward and not outward or absorbed in some way because if you had you would have to prove that the force exerted upward does in fact stress the leg.

Hope I helped.

i exist in a constant state of confusion so its ok
— veeren