z

Young Writers Society

Revision methods

95 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 95
Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:34 pm
Clarity says...

So, I'm kind of failing Chem right now. The problem isn't my understanding of the subject, because I'm doing fine in class and actually understand the topics. Buuuuuuut, I suck at the revision part. So when it comes to tests (aka knowledge recall) I'm failing.

So do any of you have any good revision methods that don't drain away your energy and motivation?

--As a side note, I have no idea what type of learner I am. XD But I know I hate flow charts. So. Yeah.

Thanks. :smt003
"Be courageous and try to write in a way that scares you a little."

she/they

Home is where the books are kept.

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:27 pm
niteowl says...

Revision...is this another British/American thing? Because I always thought of revision as something to do to a rough draft, not something to prep for a test.

Anyway, for memorizing things (sometimes relevant for Chem), flashcards are always a good standby, as are mnemonic devices. For something complicated, like a pathway, you might put to the tune of a song. I recall using "Dem Bones" to remember the steps of photosynthesis in high school biology.

My other strategy is kind of boring, but it also works: Reread your notes from a given day...then rewrite them. Try to make it shorter, neater, and focus on the key points. This helped me prepare for the comprehensive exam (where I had to review everything I'd learned in two years of graduate-level courses).
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

95 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 95
Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:53 pm
Clarity says...

Thanks @niteowl and Revision is just another word for Studying. :p
I think flash cards would be a good start...
"Be courageous and try to write in a way that scares you a little."

she/they

Home is where the books are kept.

806 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 806
Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:15 pm
View Likes
Aley says...

One way that I find works most of the time is to make links between what you're learning and something you know intimately, for instance, when you're studying for chemistry, think about how it might relate to your books, or your poems. Look for ways to connect words into your books like naming a character Potassium K, or Phillib Lead.

Depending on what type of chemistry you're doing, and what types of stories you're writing, you could really get creative with it. Then when you're on a test, you try to recall those things, so make it something funny that you'll laugh at because humor is a great way to remember something.

Anxiety is the dizziness of freedom.
— Søren Kierkegaard