z

Young Writers Society

Measuring Impact

91 Reviews

Reviews: 91
Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:21 am
Redbox275 says...

I am doing a science experiment where I am planning a to use model as a leg to hit different running shoes to the ground to find if these different running shoes would affect impact. How would I measure this?

91 Reviews

Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:00 pm
Redbox275 says...

To rephrase this I am wondering how the material of the shoe would affect how it impact. How would I measure this?

806 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 806
Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:35 am
Aley says...

Uhhhhh I think you would need a plate to measure the impact pressure produced by each shoe.

You could also put the shoe up side down and calculate which one gives the most bounce when struck,

or... which one disburses the shock of something hitting the shoe the most. That would probably be something inside the shoe measuring the pressure. Maybe like stick eggs in the shoe and strike it with a hammer, see if any/all the eggs crack, then move onto a better material for testing the impact damage of pressure on the foot.

These are all just ideas though. I'd suggest you talk to your teacher about your idea and see what they have to offer.

91 Reviews

Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:38 am
Redbox275 says...

Is there a difference between impact force and ground reaction?

806 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 806
Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:50 am
Aley says...

I'm not sure? I think they are.

Impact force implies that the force is that which is exerted upon the object, the moving force.
Ground reaction, to me, seems more like that which is stable and providing the most resistance to whatever the impact force is.

Sort of like Ground|reaction-[refuse to budge]> <[force]-of-the-impact-

Honestly it was a while ago when I took physics, so you should probably rely heavily on your teacher and google rather than me.
*I should not be your only source, I'm making [distantly]educated guesses

91 Reviews

Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:22 am
View Likes
Redbox275 says...

Thanks, I did Google and ask the teacher too and I decided on a force plate. I appreciate your help!

huh. didn't realize santa was a batman fan-
— Mageheart