Young Writers Society

College Search for DD

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:18 pm
View Likes
Dream Deep says...

Okie Dokie. Here it is:

I'm graduating high school this year, right? Right. And... I'm having trouble finding a potential college to attend. The hang-up! I will only be 15 upon my high school graduation and am not permitted by law to attend a campus until 17. And as for those 2 years in between, I 'd like to take some courses or even get an Associates Degree online.

So. I'm looking for a college that has a particularly brilliant math department, so that when I finally AM allowed to attend a campus, I can approach colleges with the backing of a degree from a good school already. But obviously, this college has to offer long distance learning.

And... I'm having trouble finding a decent one.

So... HELP! ^_^

(Note:> And if you say "Why, the University of Pheonix!" I'm going to have to kill you. I am so sick of hearing about the Uni of Pheonix. :wink: j/k)

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:30 pm
View Likes
-KayJuran- says...

Why are you sick of Phoenix..?

And.. I'll look for you but I don't know much about colleges in the U.S.
"There you go - sausages à la bread!" - Blue.

504 Reviews

Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:32 pm
Dream Deep says...

Lol, thanks Kay. ^_^

(Because every site I go on, it's "Go to Pheonix!", "Go to Pheonix!" and it really doesn't seem that good... -_-)

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:45 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

Go to your local junior colleges (they may be community colleges) and see what there is there. They teach advanced math classes too -- heck, I'm at one right now! And they allow minors in, with a couple of hurdles. ;)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:49 pm
View Likes
smaur says...

Come to Canada!
"He yanked himself free and fled to the kitchen where something huddled against the flooded windowpanes. It sighed and wept and tapped continually, and suddenly he was outside, staring in, the rain beating, the wind chilling him, and all the candle darkness inside lost."

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:54 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

smaur wrote:Come to Canada!

That's your answer to everything, isn't it? :P
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:57 pm
View Likes
smaur says...

Snoink wrote:That's your answer to everything, isn't it?

Uh ... come to Canada!
"He yanked himself free and fled to the kitchen where something huddled against the flooded windowpanes. It sighed and wept and tapped continually, and suddenly he was outside, staring in, the rain beating, the wind chilling him, and all the candle darkness inside lost."

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:46 pm
View Likes
Ares says...

Purdue!

That's where I'm going. And I hear they have a good math department. The place is in Northern Indiana, I think.

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:50 pm
View Likes
Sam says...

If you live in a University town, I'd check with them (that is, if you live near a state or private university). I know UNL does classes for high school students.

But I'll certainly ask my math teacher. :D
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

381 Reviews

Reviews: 381
Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:10 pm
View Likes
Fand says...

Oh dear... I'm a liberal arts girl, m'self... obviously... so none of the schools I looked at focused on math. At all. But my best friend's a total engineering dork, so he knows tons of great schools. I'll ask around. But first a question--

You want it to be in your general vicinity, right? I mean, are you hoping to go to the actual classes, or are you fine with internet classes? Because I can look around at some of these MD schools during my breaks...
Bitter Charlie :: Shady Grove, CA :: FreeRice (162,000/1,000,000)

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:23 am
View Likes
sabradan says...

Well, it would help us to know what you want your eventual major to be. Like, if you want a major in mathematics, or just want a strong math program to help with say, a mechanical engineering degree.

Okay, now, first advice: Since you cant get onto a campus for two years anyway, go to your local community college (there are plenty out there, and are a good way to save some money) and take some courses toward what you want to do (I'd suggest getting either an AA or AS degrees, 1. It gets you accostomed to college courses and life and 2. almost all major universities will admit people who already have a degree of one kind or another. It kinda says 'I know what Im doing!')

Second, FULLY RESEARCH ALL AVAILABLE OPTIONS! This is MUY IMPORTANTE as it is the MAJOR mistake I made, and have regretted it many times since. Research all aspects of your future univerisities: MULTIPLE academic majors/academic programs (in case you change ur mind mid-way through college), campus life, facilities, etc. Visit campus. Basically, make sure you fall in lvoe with where you decide to go, as you will be paying a LOT of money for AT LEAST four years there.

Now, for some suggestions: A word of caution, I'm not a math/science guy, so I'm not sure on all/many of these:

-any of the Ivies
-Cal Tech
-Georgia Tech
-Illinois has a good math departemnt (works in conjunction with the engineering for which it is known) Can you feel the Illi-Noise?!?!?!?!!
-MIT perhaps?

Also, if you feel like going abroad, I HIGHLY suggest the Technion in Haifa. It is the PREIMEIR technology/math/science school in the world.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

63 Reviews

Reviews: 63
Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:11 pm
Cicero says...

DD -
I go to the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, and I don't know if that minors rule applies here, because there were a couple of 16-year-olds in my dorm freshman year. Now, you have a lot of hurdles being so young, and I'm not saying this to offend, but while you are clearly quite intelligent, your emotional maturity is unlikely to be the same as your peers at a university. That's just a statement of fact, from a person who knows. So consider a community college near your house so you can still live at home and see your friends from high school.

Here's my pitch, though: look into the University of Nebraska-Lincoln (UNL). We have a stellar honors program (I'm in it), that you could probably get into, and our math/physics department is on par with MIT. How do I know? The CERN lab in Switzerland, which is a huge (we're talking miles and miles of tubes) particle excelerator and they churn out unbelievable amounts of information a year. The lab selected 7 colleges around the world to help process the research, including CalTech, MIT, and UNL. We're the 4th best research university in the nation, and in the Top 50 public schools.

You're now saying, "NEBRASKA?" I know, not exactly a glamourous spot. But the people here are unbelieveably friendly and you still have that small-town, we've-got-your-back feel. It's the American-college experience, with a great football team (and fans who are completely devoted), a Greek system, nice dorms, neat old buildings with the occasional ghost, and what not.

I echo other people's sentiments: RESEARCH. Learn all you can about colleges. Does your high school have a grad center? Mine did, and it had files and files on colleges around the country. Talk to your advisor. Good luck!
"Artichoke -
O heart weighed down by so many wings."
- Joseph Hutchison

504 Reviews

Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:13 pm
View Likes
Dream Deep says...

Heh, thank you very much Cicero, but there's one little hitch to your plan - ahem. I'm homeschooled. ;) And 15.

Hence the online college courses until 17 and the ability to attend a campus.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:21 pm
View Likes
Wiggy says...

I really don't know, as I'm not interested in math. XD But I'd just google "Math degrees for college" or something like that, or get a mathematician's advice. Sorry I'm not much help! :P
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:48 pm
View Likes
Via says...

Check out DeVry University Online.

I don't know much about their programs...

but if you go to www.princetonreview.com you can look up the stats on Ave ACT, Ave GPA, Ave SAT and what not and what the top majors are at the colleges. So I'd check there.

Good luck!
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

There is nothing more radical or counter-cultural, at the moment, than laying down one’s cynicism in favour of tender vulnerability.
— John Green