Young Writers Society

LGBT Awareness Contest Q&A

1333 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1333
Mon May 12, 2014 7:05 am
View Likes
Hannah says...

Sorry, I only read up to @BlueAfrica's question, and was then struck by the interesting thought that a character picks their own pronouns for the characters in the text to refer to them by -- that usually happens in face to face interaction and is strongly based in social situations, but if the author chooses to address them by those same pronouns, this is the author respecting the character, interacting with the character in some way that can be present on the page and contrasted with other authors who may write a character outside of the binary but use pronouns other than the ones the characters choose to refer to them. If that makes sense. Mostly rambling.
you can message me with anything: questions, review requests, rants
are you a green room knight yet?
have you read this week's Squills?

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Mon May 12, 2014 6:25 pm
Stori says...

How you look is your gender expression, and it's independent from your gender or sex.

Not everything is about gender (or sex), though. What I wear is just what I happened to put on this morning; change what may, I'm as careless about appearance as any guy. :)

@queerelves: This probably doesn't concern you too much, but I guess it's worth mentioning. If you plan on reaching Christians too, remember- thanks to our beliefs, we're the shyest people on earth when it comes to genitals.

In fact, I've only read one Bible translation that dares to say "so-and-so had sexual relations with what's-her-name". We've got all kinds of evasions to avoid saying flat out, "People actually have sex." It's crazy, no?
"The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart."
Miles Vorkosigan

"You can be an author if you learn to paint pictures with words."
Brian Jacques

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon May 12, 2014 6:57 pm
Rosendorn says...

Not everything is about gender (or sex), though. What I wear is just what I happened to put on this morning; change what may, I'm as careless about appearance as any guy.

@Stori- The issue is not about how you feel as yourself, because a lot of people feel the way you do. The issue is about how others will perceive you based on how you dress. You might not make a big deal about what clothes you wear, but others do, so your expression is part of gender.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Mon May 12, 2014 7:03 pm
Stori says...

Eh, I don't care really. I know my real gender; let others think what they want. Furthermore, there's no better way of offending me than by saying either, "This is how it is because society" or "You know you want to". How the heck does anyone who's not in my head know what I want?

1272 Reviews

Mon May 12, 2014 7:11 pm
Rosendorn says...

It's great you have that confidence! Honestly, it is. :) However, not everybody does. So while that comment might not apply to you, it might apply to others.

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

433 Reviews

Reviews: 433
Tue May 13, 2014 5:09 pm
View Likes
TakeThatYouFiend says...

@Rosey%20Unicorn you talked above about the difference between gender and sex and would like to point out, originally at least, gender meant type. My dad has a book describing someone as of the patriotic gender.
This is brilliant for bamboozling forms. If it asks for someones sex, you can put "yes please" or if it has male and female tick boxes put numbers in each. If it asks for gender, put patriotic :-)
You know that studded leather armour in films? Nobody wore that. I mean, how would metal studs improve leather armour?

1272 Reviews

Tue May 13, 2014 5:15 pm
Rosendorn says...

That is really cool, @TakeThatYouFiend ! I never knew that. Thanks for the information.

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Wed May 14, 2014 6:47 pm
Prokaryote says...

Homosexuality is a tremendous fad, and no one puts any effort into it anymore. It used to be gay people were fun and flamboyant, always there to brighten your day with an off-colour joke about same-sex attraction, perpetually flaunting social norms by wearing bright socks and rollerskating in the school hallways. Now we have a bunch of kids who think the only requirement for admission into the sacred halls of the Fabulous is to post a twelve-line dirge on the ostracism they experienced after "coming out," when, of course, a proper homo never has to admit himself, but is discovered in the act of cheering up absolutely everybody.

All this contest promoted was more "awareness" of how dreadfully attention-starved every adolescent this side of 2008 has become, and the fact that there is apparently not one single straight male left on Yewis. (YWS for the slow or uninformed.)

We ought to have renamed the contest, "How to Use Your Sexuality -- Which No One Really Cares About Because Seriously, Who You Want to Jam With is None of Anyone's Concern --to Gain Anonymous Pity and Compassion from the Internet, Also Known in the Year 2014 as the Great Therapist."

384 Reviews

Reviews: 384
Thu May 15, 2014 1:41 am
View Likes
eldEr says...

Or they could, you know, be vying for equal rights because hello, flamboyant and fabulous as one is, nobody actually likes being ostracized for coming out, nor do they particularly appreciate violence, social alienation, and oppression. The Fabulous strongly prefer tax benefits, healthcare benefits, employment/financial/living/familial rights, and the ilk.

In other words, my toe jam is composed of glitter and people should not feel reluctant to post in this thread due to the above.

Peace out,
~Ish
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Thu May 15, 2014 3:17 am
Prokaryote says...

The Fabulous strongly prefer tax benefits, healthcare benefits, employment/financial/living/familial rights, and the ilk.

Once upon a time being a gaylord was a reward in itself.

384 Reviews

Reviews: 384
Fri May 16, 2014 3:20 pm
View Likes
eldEr says...

Once upon a time being a gaylord was a reward in itself.

Once upon a time, people who wanted to debate used the SD&D forum. If you want to argue modern day homosexuality vs. homosexuality six years ago, be my guest, but do it there and not in Resources.
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

As ideas are always better than their execution, so too must dough taste better than cookies.
— Horisun