z

Young Writers Society

Should I give up?

382 Reviews

Reviews: 382
Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:06 am
Dreamy says...

I always thought that I was an excellent writer, though I don't really get any sort of appreciation from my family and friends who all think that it's just a waste of time. But I was so sure that I was good in it. And now with my stories and poem published, I got very dissappointing reviews, and now Am in verge of giving up my writing. Is this the only solution? I feel rejected.
If any person raises his hand to strike down another on the ground of religion, I shall fight him till the last breath of my life, both as the head of the Government and from outside- Jawaharlal Nehru.

159 Reviews

Reviews: 159
Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:19 am
Skydreamer says...

You shouldn't! I take reviews personally as well. I just read some poems of yours, and I think you have some great poetry!

The thing is, you just need someone to help you with the formating and lining and spacing and just a bit of organizing. That's all! You have so much potential and you shouldn't ever give up!

No matter whether you feel like people don't understand or like your work, you just keep posting and trying. And accepting corrections when they're true. (I myself need to work on this.)

So anyways, if you would like any help I would be sooo glad to help you out! I already have some tips on "Stranger" in which could give it a bit of a boost. :D You can PM me if you want my help!

Don't give up!

Dream on, dreamy! ;)
I believe in that, which is not seen.
I call it truth, faith, hope, life.

~~~~Sometimes life beckons us to be different~~~~

I used to be known as thewritersdream, but now my dreams have taken flight

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:02 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Here's a little secret: everybody starts off absolutely, utterly, horrible at writing.

Trust me. Even the best published writers have diaries upon notebooks upon old computers upon discarded flash drives of bad work. It's how they get better.

Let me repeat that: being bad is how you get better.

Because you write something bad. And you get bad reviews. They shred you on all these points and it's disheartening because that work is your baby and you don't want to see it torn up like that.

1- Dry your tears. This is part of the editing cycle.
2- Look at their critiques and get a few more opinions from people who can support you (YWS is awesome of that!) and see if they agree.
3- Sort through this advice. If some advice takes you too far away from what you want to do with your writing, then ignore it. But take the rest and try to apply it.
4- Edit the work. Play around with how to apply the advice. Edit the work a few different ways.
5- Write more as a break from the old work.
6- Either resubmit old work or submit new work.
7- Get feedback on what you just submitted
8- Repeat

Every single writer goes through this. And every single writer has been disheartened. But what makes the difference between a professional writer and a hobby writer is a professional writer looks their bad reviewers in the eye, asks, "How do you think I could improve on that?" and proceeds to follow their advice.

If you're feeling disheartened, remember why you write. Find that one thing and hold onto it with a vice grip. Keep it close to your heart, write it down even. And revisit it every time you need to be reminded why you write.

Adversary is a real thing, and sometimes you need to take a bit of a break in order to write again. That's understandable.

But don't give up because you're bad, or got knocked down a few pegs. We were all there. And the people who are true writers get past that point. They find what it is that makes them write, and they keep going.

This video might help, too.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:46 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nyhv80HDSj4

Also this video. This video always helps me when I feel like that!
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

382 Reviews

Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:12 pm
Dreamy says...

Thank you all guys for your boosting advices. I am not going to give up untill people suck in their first work :D. Thanks for the videos and for everything. And finally thanks for making me understand that Am not alone. :)
If any person raises his hand to strike down another on the ground of religion, I shall fight him till the last breath of my life, both as the head of the Government and from outside- Jawaharlal Nehru.

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:29 pm
View Likes
Love says...

Hey there :)

No, definitely don't give up XP The main difference between winners and lifetime losers often consists of persistence. I read Stephen King's autobiography and truly, he had like a collection of hundreds of rejection slips before he slowly became able to publish his work. Personally, I managed to publish the only story I ever submitted, but that was after I got better by reading a lot and trying to write :P I was reading some of my earliest works, and they were like, T.T

But no giving up t.t You give up = I'll hunt you down and steal your chocolate t.t Period t.t Also, PM me if you want any help t.t *huggles/licks t.t*
I was Amareth :)

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:50 pm
smile says...

NO dont give up .....honestly you are a good writer and it doesnt matter if your freinds doesnt support you ...we are here
a friend is the person who knows the song of your heart , and he can sing it to you when you forget the words

"asma"

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:09 pm
View Likes
Ossum says...

Yo listen dream.
We don't know each other all that much on a personal level. But guess what, I've read every single one of your pieces. And let me tell you, if one more person says that you are not a good writer. You can have them give me a call at Phone numbah. *And yeah, I don't mind if yall call, just let me know first xD* Because I'll be a monkey's uncle if I hear that.

You are a phenomenal writer who can really change the ways of people if you had the opportunity. And if you gave up on writing, you would never be able to get that opportunity. So many more people read your work then just the ones on YWS. So many more people than you realize are influenced by your work, and just because you don't ever get to meet them or see it, doesn't change that fact.

You as a person continue to influence and change people on a daily basis. You are amazing, and I don't care what you think or what people say, I think you are absolutely amazing. And you inspire people, even if it is just one person, someone looks up to and is inspired by who you are and what you do. and if you give up, even an ounce of what you know you can accomplish, then so will that person. And the someone looking up to them will do the same. And so on, and so on.

Don't give up, you have so much brightness in your future that what people say doesn't matter.

Keep your head up, shoulders rolled back, and a smile on that face of awesomeness! Because my name is Ossum, and I know awesomeness when I see it. And everyone on here is absolutely awesome! *Not as Ossum as me Huehue ;)* But Awesome all the same!
Never give up on yourself or others.
Fight for what is in your heart, not in your head.
And if it all comes down to it,
Die on your feet before yo live on your knees.

Chin up, shoulders back, smile on.

1007 Reviews

Reviews: 1007
Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:19 pm
TimmyJake says...

Hey Dreamie! I have always been hesitant to show my family my work. I just did recently and the have showed some interest, but I hope the interest never becomes like you are telling. You have had some negative reviews from this place! If anyone on this writers society is giving someone the notion that they should stop writing, I think they should be blocked from the site.
Don't stop writing. Ever. You are never too old or not talented enough to write.
Post a link here to one of your works. I want to see one. I am positive that they are wonderful, unlike your family says.
Used to be tIMMYjAKE

Random avatar

Reviews: 328
Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:31 pm
deleted30 says...

I mimic what the others here have said. Don't give up! If it's what you love doing, then screw everyone else! Well, I shouldn't say that. I mean, the advice that you've gotten---assuming it's good---from the people on this website in regards to your pieces will prove helpful if you listen to it. Unless they're literally just saying "you suck"… in that case, screw them. :wink:

I started writing when I was seven and I was absolutely awful at it. Luckily, I didn't realize I was awful, I thought I was amazing, so I kept at it and I've made such amazing progress over the years (I'm fourteen now). I look back at my old works with an eye roll now.

Even if you're not the best writer yet, you could be a year from now, so long as you keep moving forward. Practice really does make perfect, as cliché and unhelpful as that sounds. Good luck! :D

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:01 pm
lostthought says...

Don't give up. Writers who have potential sometimes stop writing. When they do that it is absolutely horrible. I didn't start writing until a year or two ago. I still improving but I get better each time I write and fix the mistakes I use to make all the time before. Before I got on YWS I used to be really bad with numbers. I would put 3 days instead of three days.

Give up now and regret it later on in life. Like everyone says, don't give up! If your friends and family don't approve your writing, then tell them to back off! It's your life and live while you can.

"Writing is not something you can do perfectly at first. Just give it a little love and let your stories grow."
"Aaloo is potato in urdu, like AAAAAA-loo, or like AAAAA-look such delicious deliciousness."
-Pompadour

"MY SOUL IS A GREY ABYSS"
-QueenOfHearts

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:50 am
Holysocks says...

Never, ever, ever... EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER GIVE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's just what everyones been saying; we all start somewhere. Ask any artist, they'll tell you, "practice makes perfect," and it's true. Rome wasn't built in a day.

As for your family/friends, I'd say ( if you aren't already )... Keep a journal. Make yourself an imaginary friend, it may sound silly... but writers have them for a reason, we say it's because we're crazy, but it's because there isn't always people that support us.

I'm not telling you to start talking to yourself! XD But imaginary friends make wonderful pen pals.

Also, if you ever want someone to talk too... feel free to PM me! :P
100% autistic

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:06 pm
Stori says...

Accept praise from non-writers, but not criticism. After all, what do they know about your craft?

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:30 pm
Rosendorn says...

Stori wrote:Accept praise from non-writers, but not criticism. After all, what do they know about your craft?

If non-writers know nothing about your craft, how can they say what's right with it, either?

It's not a case of who gives the criticism. It's a case of what type of criticism it is. Neil Gaiman said it best:

Remember: when people tell you something’s wrong or doesn’t work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong.

That feeling of what's wrong, that something doesn't work, is the most valuable criticism you can get. That comes from writers and non writers alike. It comes from readers, too. People who have seen so many stories they can tell when a scene's off, but can't put their finger on it.

When they tell you exactly what's wrong in their own eyes and what they would do to fix it, that is the advice that can very easily lead you astray, because it's their own voice over yours.

Feeling that something's wrong or doesn't work is just that: a vague feeling. It lets you look at the scene with your own eyes and pick out what the source is. Then you find out for yourself what works for your audience and what doesn't.

The secret is to learn what criticism is good and what criticism is worthless. You also have to learn how to take criticism, because you are going to get a lot of valid criticism in your career as a writer. You can't discount its source, but only its content.

And accept that for a very long while— at least a million words— that you will be a bad writer. It's where all writers started. We all started bad. We all started with no practice in writing, and what is an artist without practice?

The secret is to keep going.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

382 Reviews

Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:23 am
View Likes
Dreamy says...

Lesson learnt! :P Thank you all for the encouraging replies, let me take the avatar of an unshakable mountain and stand tall. Thank you all!

@thewritersdream @Rosey%20Unicorn @StellaThomas @Letiki @smile @Ossum @TimmyJake @Lucrezia @lostthought @Holysocks @Stori

Thank you all! I knew I would not give up though, I wanted a boost and I got it. :D

To be a master of metaphor is the greatest thing by far. It is the one thing that cannot be learnt from others, and it is also a sign of genius.
— Aristotle, Poetics