z

Young Writers Society

I need a girl's opinion...

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:49 pm
booadamboo says...

I'm currently writing a crime thriller, and I could use a woman's opinion on an abduction scene between an adult female and an 18 year old boy. In your humble opinion, do you think in general that a woman's hand would be big enough to cover an average 18 year old boy's mouth and nose if she had to keep him quiet? Assume in this case that strength is not a factor. Typically women have very small hands; thus, I wanted to see if in your mind her hand would be feasibly big enough to muffle him. Thank you so much and happy writing!

Adam

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:00 pm
Nook says...

I wouldn't think so. An average woman's hand (which would be small) would not be big enough. (Uhgh. Repetitive...)

I suppose if her hand is fairly big, (which is possible) then yeah, she could cover the mouth of an 18 year old boy.

Depends on her individual characteristics, I suppose. If you want to make her hands big, then do it. It's completely natural and could help you erase confusion.
HERE>>OTAKU FOR LIFE<<HERE
"People's feelings are memories that transcend time[that's why they're so hard to forget]." - Steins;Gate(Makise)
"I'm not stupid. I'm just too lazy to show how smart I am." -Hyouka(Oreki)

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:07 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Short answer: Absolutely.

Long answer: I have small hands for a girl (ring size is a 3.5) and when I put my hand over my nose and mouth, I have quite a bit of extra space under my lip (if I barely cover my nose). My palm is a little under 3 inches without my thumb; my thumb brings it to 3.5 inches. Considering my hand/fingers are small, you could very easily assume this is a possible feat, especially if the woman used the heel of her thumb to add a bit more pressure to the nose.

You can also spread your thumb away a little bit and put pressure on the tip of the nose, which hurts quite a lot, or under the nose. This would simply involve having your hand in the right spot to lift your thumb up in such away you're blocking both nostrils.

I'm also going to assume that the guy won't try to rip her hand away. You can hit certain pressure points/joint locks that are painful and don't take a lot of strength to pull off. Self defence tends to specialize in getting you away with as little effort as possible.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:55 pm
Lava says...

.... I have large hands. I do.
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:44 am
EloquentDragon says...

Dude....uh....

*ahem...despite the fact that I'm not a girl...I'm answering this?

Yeah it should be big enough. I think it would depend more on the size of the guy's face. Sure, there's gals w/ slender hands out there, but in general humans are made at about the same aspect/size ration so...
Unless this 18 year old in question has an abnormally large shnozz or something, you should be good. xD

*I'm not even going to ask why you have adult women clapping hands over 18-year-old's mouths O.O...heh heh heh
No more countin' dollars... we'll be countin' stars.

Enter, if you dare.

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:07 am
SARAHJO says...

Maybe this has nothing to do with it, but I think it would depend on the face structure of the boy. Some people have a long face, some have a "scrunched" face. How big is his nose? How wide are his lips? And probably the most important question, how big are these woman's hands? :/
-"Lets be real here. Unicorns don't exist.
-"Then you must not either."

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:30 am
View Likes
Tenyo says...

Normally I would say 'when in doubt, try it out!' but that might get you arrested in this circumstance.
We were born to be amazing.

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:15 am
Holysocks says...

Um... I agree with most people... I'm a lady myself at age sixteen, and I can muffle my 22 year old dude friend. Not that I've tried... >.>
People are forever telling me that I have such little hands, so yeah. I mean, of course it all depends on your woman, and boy.
100% autistic

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:54 am
lyricalrebel says...

I don't think so. Not only are women's hands small, they are also thin. And an eighteen-year -old boy can already be as big as a grown woman
"Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win."
—Stephen King

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:11 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

I would say, while technically feasible, the man is PROBABLY going to be a lot stronger than the woman and can rip her hand away fairly easily, unless there is something else going on.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:48 am
Lucia says...

Not only does it depend on how big the woman's hand is, but also how wide or large the man's jaw and nostrils are.

I'd say that, in general, unless there are special circumstances involved, a woman's could be big enough to cover the mouth and nose of a man.
As for strength, not so sure about that. :)
Noodles, don't noodles...

There is a saying...........
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.
~ Oogway

I am proud of my self, the reason why some of you might disagree with me a little with, but nevertheless I still proud.
— Oxara