z

Young Writers Society

So, that character is happy... right?

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:41 pm
cosby says...

Hello again!

I saw below that someone had asked about overdoing showing facial and/or body expressions. This got me thinking, because in my novel, I don't necessarily show or say what the character is feeling. I never out right say, 'he looked happy', instead, I say things like 'he was smiling, a small spring in his step'. But most of the time it's a lot more subtle than that.

The reason I do this is because I find books that show everything about how a character is feeling a little boring. Other books, which describe what the character is doing instead, I like a lot better. You have to put together what you know about the character together with his/her actions to know what they're feeling.

Is this a good thing? Do you feel the same about this? Or do you find it too much like hard work?

Needing a little guidance,

Cosby
- From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down I was convulsed with laughter. Some day I intend reading it -

- If the doctor told me I had 6 minutes left to live, I'd type faster -

I laugh at my own signature. Sad? Yes.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:44 pm
Rosendorn says...

That is a very good thing. xD

That's my technique to show, not tell, emotions. It's easier to show emotional dissonance (voice vs body language, for example) and gives an extra level to the character, because you're showing how he is happy, sad, angry, whatever. For some of the more off the wall reactions (If, for example, he laughs the loudest when stressed to the max) you might need to explain that.

But, otherwise, keep doing it. :P
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

An existential crisis a day keeps the writer's block away <3
— LadyBug