z

Young Writers Society

Fickle-mindedness

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:40 am
RockyShore says...

Whenever an idea comes to my head, I start writing. I'm writing a new novel every week, it turns out. I can't really proceed. I get bored. I know that if it's boring to the writer, it's boring to the reader. So, I feel like I'm wasting pages (not time, because I'm always partial to new ideas). I had stick with writing one long book and managed to complete it. Now, more ideas come and go. If they come and go, are they not worth holding on to? Or do I have issues?

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:20 pm
AlfredSymon says...

I have the exact issues, Rocky, and I say, until now I haven't written a complete novel yet. But now, this is not about the bored issue, but about my busyness. Believe me, it's not an issue, it's actually normal for writers to lose interest in their work. It's like friendship; you can't be friends with someone forever unless some changes'll be done.

One technique I can give you is that if you have a lot of ideas going on your mind, don't hesitate to write them down, but not in your novel yet! Write ALL your ideas in a notebook or a journal of some sort. Don't be afraid of legitimacy and whatnot, just write, you can even express your ideas with your own drawings and doodles, even humorous remarks and pep talk (Pep talk like 'This is a great idea' and 'This is one of yer best ideas!'). If the idea you have is fairly wide, leave some spaces so you can expand it.

Now what's the use of the writings? Well if you're writing a novel, there would be one plot right? Then there should be subplots, or some interesting happenings in your character's world which either makes up the body of the plot or just adds up to the length of your storytelling. Now, you can reread those writings of yers and one-by-one connect them to the main plot, afterwhile, sequence your ideas so you can develop a 'skeleton' for your plot. You may write the ideas which you really can't connect to the main plot to another notebook for reference for another novel or story of yers.

Now that the idea issue is solved, how about the bored issue? Didn't I tell you to draw doodles and add those remarks :) Those are what can keep you writing and motivate you to continuing your work. Another thing you can do is love your piece. Don't think of it as a waste of paper, whether one person or a million people read it, think of it as self-expression. Motivate yourself!

That's all I can give, but remember to ask the other writers too! I'm sure they can give a lot of advice! :)

Your helper,
Al :)
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:37 pm
View Likes
RockyShore says...

Thanks! I will note down the ideas, because letting them go is sad. That was really good advice. They might just add up into one. Thanks, again. Much appreciated. :)

Don't aim at success--the more you aim at it and make it a target, the more you are going to miss it. For success, like happiness, cannot be pursued; it must ensue, and it only does so as the unintended side-effect of one's dedication to a cause greater than oneself or as the by-product of one's surrender to a person other than oneself.
— Viktor E. Frankl