z

Young Writers Society

How long should a novel be?

Reviews: 0
Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:19 am
View Likes
Zayber says...

I am using Word to write my novel, and the one thing that always bugs me is I don't know how long it should be. 100 pages just doesn't seem like enough, but I don't see it being easy to write more than that, if I can even reach 100 pages.
"If you don't have the time to read, you don't have the time or the tools to write." - Stephen King

“Getting something and having the wits to use it...those are two different things.”
― Rick Riordan, The Battle of the Labyrinth

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:42 am
View Likes
steward says...

The answers are allhere... (If not, complain...)
"Stay brave." -Steward

Reviews: 0
Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:11 pm
View Likes
Zayber says...

Thanks
"If you don't have the time to read, you don't have the time or the tools to write." - Stephen King

“Getting something and having the wits to use it...those are two different things.”
― Rick Riordan, The Battle of the Labyrinth

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:22 pm
View Likes
AlfredSymon says...

As long as you can give out an idea!

A novel, in my opinion, has no end. There's no such thing as 'the end' because the character's life goes on. Write all you want and be your best.

But due to publisher issues, well, just ask your publisher if they have a limit in novels, they are the ones who will have a hard time printing your novel!
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:51 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

It depends on the market, genre, and a few other factors like publisher and how "marketable" your idea is.

The two that I have the best idea about...

YA= usually on the shorter end, unless you manage to get a hugely popular series like Harry Potter or any other doorstoppers you see in the 9 to 19 area of the bookstore. Anywhere from under 50,000 words to probably 100k.

Adult fantasy epics= longest word counts you can get, which can be 150,000+ words per book if the story has mass market potential.

Do keep in mind most of what you pay for a book goes towards printing costs. Each publisher, market, and genre has their own guideline for what is "acceptable" or not, as they don't want to lose money on a book that costs a fortune to print but won't sell.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
— George Santayana