z

Young Writers Society

When do I tell?

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:20 am
babymagic18 says...

My main character is attracted to a vampire but doesn't know that he's a vampire. At what point in my novel do I have him tell her what he is. I have it originally set to be at the end of my novel but I don't think that gives my novel enough length. Please help! It can't sound anything like twilight, I'll get so annoyed if it does. And another thing there are demons in my story. Hope that gives way to more creative ideas.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:33 am
Rosendorn says...

It's really hard to answer that question.

The best answer is "whenever it feels right for the story". Make it natural, don't try to plan it out in advance. Just write the story and see what comes up as you go along.

You can look into various ways to structure your novel, but I find those pretty stiff and limiting. It's a better story in the end if you let the plot come organically, and adjust your pacing through conflicts. This article might help you plan out the pace for the general flow of the novel; there's no definitive advice on what should go where.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

253 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 253
Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:13 am
RacheDrache says...

The answer to your question, I think, is "subplots." Her being attracted to him and not knowing he's a vampire is one thing... But are vampires common and known in this world? Are demons known to exist?

Essentially, what else is going on in this novel other than the attraction and stuff? And is he attracted to her? Or worried about accidentally biting her?
I don't fangirl. I fandragon.

Have you thanked a teacher lately? You should. Their bladder control alone is legend.

Poetry and prayer are very similar.
— Carol Ann Duffy