z

Young Writers Society

Need help urgently

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:57 am
ArahAkachi1 says...

MaNo thing starts tomorrow, but I have one problem. How can i write thoughts? One of the main parts of my novel are memories. Need help with how I can write the thoughts. :!:
Writing your name can lead to writing sentences. And then the next thing you'll be doing is writing paragraphs, and then books. And then you'll be in as much trouble as I am!

253 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 253
Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:15 am
RacheDrache says...

Italics! They work great for signaling to the reader that the text he or she is reading is not, for the lack of a better word, normal. Kind of like how " " quotation marks tell the reader that what's in between is dialogue, not prose. I've actually seen authors use quotation marks for thoughts, but I've always found that incredibly annoying as a reader because then you don't know until you get to the tag if it was said or thought.

So, italics. Great for thoughts, and great for memory sequences as well.

Examples:

I'm really hungry, she thought.

It was three in the morning and she was hungry. She got out of bed and walked down the hallway to the kitchen. She didn't see him until the fridge light illuminated him in the gap between the island and counter. Half asleep, it didn't register at first that there was a man in a mask in her kitchen, so instead of screaming she made a sort of gurgle and, thinking it was all in her head, slammed the fridge door shut. But his shadow still lurked there...
I don't fangirl. I fandragon.

Have you thanked a teacher lately? You should. Their bladder control alone is legend.

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:31 pm
ArahAkachi1 says...

Ok Thanks so much!!! Thanks for the help Rachael. The thoughts and the memories are important cause in my novel, the prolouge is when my protaganist is a baby and gets taken, and Chapter 1 starts off as he is 15. So, the memories are when he was younger, but didnt know. So, that information will be important for the memories.
Writing your name can lead to writing sentences. And then the next thing you'll be doing is writing paragraphs, and then books. And then you'll be in as much trouble as I am!

Powerful men have a way of avoiding consequences.
— Dr. Harrison Wells, The Flash