z

Young Writers Society

Help with reactions in the 60s!

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:27 pm
misstoria says...

I'm currently writing a story that takes place in the mid-60s. The story revolves around a 15 year old girl who lost her parents and siblings in a house fire. She moves in with her abusive uncle and kind aunt. Through friends the character meets a boy at a party who she immediately falls in love with, he's 18. In attempt to escape the abuse the young couple marries. I'm having trouble writing the reactions of the character's friends. Since the story is set in the progressive 60's i don't know how the characters would express their reactions. I need advice on the reactions of friends to the marriage. I also need advice on how the abusive uncle reacts to the marriage. (For the record the boy's parents approve and so does her aunt.) Any suggestions?
You are more than the choices that you've made, you are more than the sum of your past mistakes. You are more than the problems you create, You'v been remade.

http://writemeaway.blogspot.com/

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:30 pm
Rosendorn says...

Depends on what the group your friend fits in. The 60s had more conservative groups along with the revolutionary group we know and remember more often. Women were still considered low-ranking in the workplace, and the 50's ideals could still be running strong.

A lot of it depends on what the exact year in the 60s was. Early 60s was pretty idealistic, late 60s more cynical (JFK's assassination was a turning point for America). Culture change didn't come easily, and it was far from evenly distributed. Some groups were very liberal, but a lot were conservative.

Factors:
Part of the world/country
Exact year
City or rural

Hope this helps.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:02 pm
misstoria says...

The story is set in Rural Indiana in1965.
You are more than the choices that you've made, you are more than the sum of your past mistakes. You are more than the problems you create, You'v been remade.

http://writemeaway.blogspot.com/

while she was studying the ways of pasta he was studying the ways of the sword
— soundofmind