z

Young Writers Society

Asian Style Word Craft!!!!

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:12 pm
EloquentDragon says...

If you like words, then you can definatly help me out. I'm currently world building and need Japanese-ish sounding words for countires, cities, small towns, provinces etc. A generator or list or something would be great, but if not could you give me some that just come to mind?
Note: So far I've been making up words (sort-of) since I don't want to trespass on someone's precious accuracy.
Bonus: how about a name for a valuable silver-type metal?

Thanks all, :mrgreen:
No more countin' dollars... we'll be countin' stars.

Enter, if you dare.

253 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 253
Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:53 pm
RacheDrache says...

http://www.namegenerator.biz/japanese-n ... erator.php

Though, why do they have to be Japanese-sounding? Why not invent your own language/naming system and your own culture?
I don't fangirl. I fandragon.

Have you thanked a teacher lately? You should. Their bladder control alone is legend.

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:42 pm
EloquentDragon says...

well, it's Japanese SOUNDING, but I'm trying not to be too rigid...yeah.
Most of the character names are Japanese though so....
Thanks Rachael!
No more countin' dollars... we'll be countin' stars.

Enter, if you dare.

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:15 pm
AlfredSymon says...

Heya! A Japanese-ish language eh? Well Rache is quite correct. Writing your own language cannot only improve your imagination, but also adds uniqueness to your piece! I know the words you make ARE GREAT! ;)

But there are still options, like what Rache posted. Anyways, on that metal thingy, Crusile? Zinconite? Silvium? Just suggestions! ;)
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:13 pm
Rosendorn says...

Do keep in mind all the linguistic rules you need to keep in place in order for the language to make sense. Tolkien's language worked because he was a linguist by trade.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

253 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 253
Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:15 pm
RacheDrache says...

Yeah, I'd advise against attempting to make your own language completely. Doing that takes a Ph.D.'s worth of knowledge and several years--it took the guy who made the language for Avatar six years, for instance.

But that doesn't mean you can't come up with your own naming system or bits of language. More important is the culture, etc.
I don't fangirl. I fandragon.

Have you thanked a teacher lately? You should. Their bladder control alone is legend.

96 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 96
Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:05 am
noninjaes says...

Try taking a beginner Japanese class or borrowing a beginner Japanese audio book from your local library.
Just keep in mind that all symbols except for a, i, u, e, o, and n/m start with a consonant.
For example: watashi is wa ta shi. Googling Japanese will also help.
Here's a table of the Japanese alphabet (hiragana and katakanal no kanji. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Nihongo_ichiran_01-converted.svg
The base sounds are:
a - ah (like in car but longer and less rounded), i - ih (like in him), u - oo (like in you) e - eh (like in care but longer and less rounded), o -oh (like in hot). Also, n - nn (just a sound, no eh or anything added to it).
Hope this helps!
Noni Naps Through Nano
NaPoWriMo 2016
Stories Not Otherwise My Own

AnnieJaePayne
The Three Ninjateers
Being awesome since Jan 2012.

Who wants to become a writer? And why? Because it’s the answer to everything. It’s the streaming reason for living. To note, to pin down, to build up, to create, to be astonished at nothing, to cherish the oddities, to let nothing go down the drain, to make something, to make a great flower out of life, even if it’s a cactus.
— Enid Bagnold