z

Young Writers Society

Research

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:00 am
View Likes
PollarBear14 says...

Ive had what I think is a great idea for a war story but the problem is for it to work I need a detailed knowledge of the military( which I don't have).
I had the idea to make the setting of the story a made up conflict because that way I could still make the story realistic but I would have the power to decide the details. What I would like to know is, would the story still be as good if I did create a inexistent conflict? I hope this hasn't been too confusing.
Thanks

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:38 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

You could create your own world, which would require you to make a whole world and do all the associated research for that, or you could research military knowledge. If you're looking to do less work overall, doing simple military research is probably better.

However, if you want to have complete control over everything, in order to tailor the story to exactly what you want, it's often better to make up a world and do so. Although you then have to figure out a lot more, it can be a lot more rewarding.

Hope this helps.

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

they got that magical iridescence that you don't expect to be on a sky rat y'know
— Ari11