z

Young Writers Society

Little challenge =)

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:59 am
View Likes
KevinMckie says...

Ok need some suggestions on how to describe a mirror that emerges from the depths of a pond in the middle of some woodlands. Wait there's more, the mirror is surrounded by whirling blue flames and is used as a kind of portal. The mirror is long and is engraved. Made of a silver, dirty perhaps ? It is late at night and is dark around the pond which allows a midnight sky reflection upon the water.

Need help on how to maybe construct my paragraph with this information in it, with a nice flow.

If anyone would like to give it a shot then feel free to try, might be fun.

I've already got a paragraph made for this scene but I feel it's missing something. If this idea opens your mind to ideas of your own then by all means dont feel constricted to my base alone.

Thx and good luck to whomever gives it a shot. Also if you want to me message me for more info please do.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:18 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

What's the point of view you're using? Distant third, close third, first person, something else? And what sort of things is your point of view character more likely to pick up on?

I ask because that has a high impact on what details get put first/last and how you describe everything. If you're using first or close third, you're rather limited to what you can and can't put in. Your PoV character will dictate everything that's seen and how it's described, because every person describes things differently.

If it's distant third, then you can use your own voice to describe the mirror, but I'd still keep a little of the PoV character's voice in there to make it shine.

I'd also try to spread out the information, maybe in two paragraphs if it's particularly dense. Readers tend to skim large chunks of description, so breaking it up tends to be a good idea. Unless you haven't done large chunks of description frequently, or manage to weave the descriptions in with actions/reactions. That's another way to make descriptions come alive as they happen, giving a grander feel.

Past that, the only thing I can say is to write it and keep going, and work on it when you edit. Don't get stuck too hard on one piece of description. It'll stall you.

Hope this helps!

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Some twenty years from now, users will ask a similar question about world famous Chicken poetry and Google will tell them about alliyah.
— Hkumar