z

Young Writers Society

My World Vs. Real World

Reviews: 4
Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:38 am
Dethl says...

So this is the problem, yesterday I had an amazing Idea, and my Novel's original concept changed drastically. After some thinking I started to doubt if my story would fit on it's original setting (our world's 19th century Europe) ...The main reason of that is that I want to play the creation myth. Also, having my own world would give me more liberty when it comes to stuff like mythology, but then I would loose a lot of what I have developed so far. What can I do? Maybe a Parallel world (If there were one it would be really similar to our world on the 19th century XD)? I'm stuck....what would you prefer to read? I'm open to any suggestion

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:02 am
Rosendorn says...

Alternate Universe.

Take everything you want to include from 19th century Europe and mix it with the creation myths you want to include and presto. You have a world with a lot of the base you want, yet you've played around with it to give it the fantasy twist you need.

One example of this is Fullmetal Alchemist. Its world is pretty heavily based on World War II Germany (yep, right down to Nazi clones), yet it includes alchemy (which also means fully automated, mechanic prosthetic limbs known as automail) and totally different geography than the real world. You still recognize it as being in approximately a certain time period, but the story has its own history and its own world. That makes it just different enough we believe all the created history (and a lot of history was created).
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Reviews: 4
Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:07 am
Dethl says...

Rosey Unicorn wrote:Alternate Universe.

Take everything you want to include from 19th century Europe and mix it with the creation myths you want to include and presto. You have a world with a lot of the base you want, yet you've played around with it to give it the fantasy twist you need.

One example of this is Fullmetal Alchemist. Its world is pretty heavily based on World War II Germany (yep, right down to Nazi clones), yet it includes alchemy (which also means fully automated, mechanic prosthetic limbs known as automail) and totally different geography than the real world. You still recognize it as being in approximately a certain time period, but the story has its own history and its own world. That makes it just different enough we believe all the created history (and a lot of history was created).

Thanks! I never though of Full Metal Alchemist, it's a great source of inspiration for what I want to achieve. Thank you very much, if you've or anyone else has another idea please feel free to share it ;D

What really knocks me out is a book that, when you're all done reading it, you wish the author that wrote it was a terrific friend of yours and you could call him up on the phone whenever you felt like it. That doesn't happen much, though.
— J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye