z

Young Writers Society

Suspense & Action and a good Intro

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:42 am
View Likes
MoonlightMayhem says...

I want to write a suspenseful and action packed novel about a girl with magical abilities and many relationships. But I don't know where to start or how to build up the action. Is there any good process that explains how to buildup action and write a hook in the beginning of a story?
Music <3

Death Cab for Cutie - Funeral For A Friend - A Day To Remember - Taking Back Sunday - Safetysuit - There For Tomorrow - OneRepublic - All American Rejects - Yellowcard - Motion City Soundtrack

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:00 am
Kale says...

You may find the Snowflake Method useful for planning things out.

Other than that, experimentation and revision are the surest way to find out. You can also post sections in the Lit forums for feedback. You'll need to find a good balance between action and providing information, and pacing tends to be the trickiest part of any story to get right. Too much action and not enough information makes for a confusing story, while too much information and not enough action makes for a boring one.

This article on scenes might also be helpful, since it's geared towards writing stories with fast paced action.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

Courage, my soul! Now learn to wield the weight of thine immortal shield...
— Andrew Marvell