z

Young Writers Society

How do they do it?

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:54 pm
View Likes
Jessa says...

I have been working on a novel for a few months now and I keep hitting a wall. Well, actually I keep stopping because I am overwhelmed with questions inside my head. The main question that keeps arising is: Do other writers actually have the majority of their story planned out before they begin to write it, or do they just write on the fly?

Please help me by letting me know what your style for formulating a novel is...or just give me some general advice! Thanks everyone.
<3 Jessa
Love is like a butterfly, it settles upon you when you least expect it.
Drew Marrymore

~Jessa~

159 Reviews

Reviews: 159
Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:58 pm
Skydreamer says...

I'm no experienced writer. But I do know, that some of my favorite works, that I have written were written on the fly. So a tip that I have, is to simply write more than one story at a time. I make sure that I write about many other things as well as my main project, so that for that story ideas don't run dry. Sometimes, I even work on projects that are quite short, just to write on something else. I hope you try it out!

*Dream*
I believe in that, which is not seen.
I call it truth, faith, hope, life.

~~~~Sometimes life beckons us to be different~~~~

I used to be known as thewritersdream, but now my dreams have taken flight

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:47 pm
Rosendorn says...

Most writers I know write on the fly. It's just another style of writing. :) If that's why you're hitting the wall, know there isn't anything inherently wrong in any way to write.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

436 Reviews

Reviews: 436
Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:56 pm
AquaMarine says...

Personally, what I usually do is write on the fly for a whole and then stop, evaluate and come up with a plan before my story goes horribly wrong!

In the end, I think it's all about finding a way that works for you. For some people, they can't write until they have a plan. For others, the ideas only start coming whilst they're writing! One famous example I could give you is JK Rowling - she plans everything! But, again, other writers don't. If the way that you're writing isn't working for you at the moment then just think about how you can change your method. :)
"It is curious how often you humans manage to obtain that which you do not want."

-Spock.

Click if you love cookies

I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work.
— Thomas Edison