z

Young Writers Society

Ways to start a book?

Reviews: 0
Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:03 pm
Pinktoes says...

SOOOOO, I'm trying to write a story but I have no idea how to start it? :? I could go with the main character waking up or something, but that seems kinda stupid since I'm trying to make the story dramatic

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:50 pm
Rosendorn says...

One of these articles might help:

How to start your story.

How do I start?

Presenting: Your Story
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Reviews: 0
Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:57 pm
Pinktoes says...

Thank you!

766 Reviews

Reviews: 766
Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:00 pm
Brigadier says...

I'm bumping this thread because it does link to three good YWS articles. And then I'm also going to throw in some links to a few prompt blogs I've found on tumblr.

bewitchingmemes
writing-prompt-s
downwithwritersblock
wordfather

the brigadier rides again!
LMS VI: Lunch Appointment with Death

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Fri May 01, 2020 7:20 pm
View Likes
JellyRose says...

To be honest, I never start with the beginning of a book or a story. This sounds strange I know. But usually I write random scenes on like index cards or scraps of paper and arrange them around until it all makes sense. I build the story together. And then I finally say to myself alright so what caused scene one that's on my list or my pile of ideas, to actually happen.

And usually I start with a hook, like a dialogue or sometimes set the setting up. It all depends on the tone on what I'm writing. Overall, just play around with it and have fun, it'll come to you.

It's a dramatic situation almost every time you answer the phone—if you answer the phone.
— Matthew Weiner