z

Young Writers Society

Ways to start a book?

Reviews: 0
Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:03 pm
Pinktoes says...

SOOOOO, I'm trying to write a story but I have no idea how to start it? :? I could go with the main character waking up or something, but that seems kinda stupid since I'm trying to make the story dramatic

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:50 pm
Rosendorn says...

One of these articles might help:

How to start your story.

How do I start?

Presenting: Your Story
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Reviews: 0
Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:57 pm
Pinktoes says...

Thank you!

766 Reviews

Reviews: 766
Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:00 pm
Brigadier says...

I'm bumping this thread because it does link to three good YWS articles. And then I'm also going to throw in some links to a few prompt blogs I've found on tumblr.

bewitchingmemes
writing-prompt-s
downwithwritersblock
wordfather

the brigadier rides again!
LMS VI: Lunch Appointment with Death

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Fri May 01, 2020 7:20 pm
View Likes
JellyRose says...

To be honest, I never start with the beginning of a book or a story. This sounds strange I know. But usually I write random scenes on like index cards or scraps of paper and arrange them around until it all makes sense. I build the story together. And then I finally say to myself alright so what caused scene one that's on my list or my pile of ideas, to actually happen.

And usually I start with a hook, like a dialogue or sometimes set the setting up. It all depends on the tone on what I'm writing. Overall, just play around with it and have fun, it'll come to you.

i love me some swole chickens
— yosh