z

Young Writers Society

Phone calls

65 Reviews

Reviews: 65
Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:35 am
dasiamari says...

Okay so your in a car with a person sitting next to you. Their phone rings they answer it. You get the idea of the phone call even though you can't here what one person is saying right?
So how do you write that? How do you write the person answering the questions and things? And still get the idea of the phone call.
~ Thanks I hope someone can help me ~Dmari :D
Know that she's back in the atmosphere I'm afraid that she'll think of me as a plain old Jain told a story 'bout a man who was to afraid to fly so he never did land. ~Train

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:26 pm
Blues says...

Well sometimes you can hear the other person. In the UK, you aren't allowed to hold your mobile while Driving, so maybe they could be listening through the loudspeaker. Also, maybe if they are holding it, maybe it could be on the same side as the person who is also there

Anyway, either way, you could write it like this:

"I told you what to do, and yet again you don't listen ... Where is he now? Where has he gone? .. WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DON'T KNOW?

If the character can't hear the other, then just write what one person is saying and while the other person is saying it, just put an ellipsis (three dots: ...). That's what I do anyway.

65 Reviews

Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:34 am
dasiamari says...

Thanks I did this in one story but a person said I shouldn't write a conversation like this guess they were wong
Know that she's back in the atmosphere I'm afraid that she'll think of me as a plain old Jain told a story 'bout a man who was to afraid to fly so he never did land. ~Train

65 Reviews

Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:39 am
dasiamari says...

*wrong
Last edited by dasiamari on Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:41 am
Rosendorn says...

There is no such thing as "wrong" in fiction. The reviewer was probably complaining about the way you'd handled it (phone conversations and dialogue are notoriously difficult to do right) and just said not to do it for ease of explaining.

There is always asking who is calling at the start of the conversation, letting the conversation go on naturally (Or, in narration, so you're not writing out a million small things) then having the driver ask what the conversation is about. That's usually how it goes in my house, anyway. Somebody answers the phone, everybody else politely eavesdrops, then asks what the details were once the person has hung up.

Also, if you ever want to correct a post you've made, feel free to just use the "Edit" button at the bottom and make the change needed. :)
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

65 Reviews

Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:43 am
dasiamari says...

Thanks! I couldn't find the button!! :D

We think in generalities, but we live in details.
— Alfred North Whitehead