z

Young Writers Society

Filler

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:33 pm
springs616 says...

Okay, so I've been having some problems with my current WIP. I have a large part of the story outlined and everything, and I tried to start writing it, but I have a couple of scenes that are basically only used for character development, and I'm having a hard time writing them.

One is the very first scene, which depicts two main characters, who are best friends that share the same birthday, shopping together at the mall to buy each other gifts. The development here is very necessary, because after they finish shopping, the entire plot of the book gets started by one of the friends doing something very out of character, but the readers will only know it's out of character if they've gotten used to his personality already.

The other scenes involve the development of a romantic relationship. Basically, a girl meets this guy whom she immediately falls in love with due to supernatural influences, and he starts growing feelings for her at a more normal rate. I was hoping to show a scene in which they went out on a date so that I could develop their relationship more, but I feel a little strange about writing it because hardly anything noteworthy actually happens during the date.

Overall, I was just wondering if anyone had tips for writing "filler" scenes like these. How do you keep people's interest, and can anyone think of any good examples of these performed by professional writers?
"If wishes were horses we'd all be eating steak," ~ Jayne Cobb

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:30 am
Rosendorn says...

I'd try out this article on pacing. It's got some tips for writing out slower scenes. I'd also take a look at this article on beginnings, so you'll get some idea of what needs to be in a story to start it off.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

If I seem to wander, if I seem to stray, remember that true stories seldom take the straightest way.
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind