z

Young Writers Society

Technology Problem!

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:09 pm
Ad1la3tt3n says...

I've had story stuck in my head for years now and need a little help. In my story there is a scene were the protagonist meets the antagonist on a train, But in my stories I prefer swordplay in the fighting scenes. Is there a time when trains were in use and swords were preferred over guns? Please help the story works best with a train!
"Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all."
--- Hypatia of Alexandria
"It would be better not to know so many things than to know so many things that are not so"
---Josh Billings

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:06 pm
Dynamo says...

I don't think there ever was such a time. As far as I can remember, guns were invented long before trains were mainstream. The only way I can see this working is to have the story take place as close to the time that trains became a prefered means of travel for the wealthy, but also close enough to the time where guns were still they way they were in the civil war, where it took about ten minutes to reload one after each shot. If the story took place in that kind of timeline it would be plausable. After all, would you want to risk the only shot you have when you had a perfectly good sword at hand, especially if you don't know whether or not that shot would come in handy later?

The best setting in my mind for something like this would be somewhere in a European country during the time of the civil war between England and the American settlers.
Chicken <-- Egg <-- Rocket Powered Fist
Take that, science!

436 Reviews

Reviews: 436
Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:23 pm
AquaMarine says...

Hi!

Okay, so guns and trains technically have both existed for an insanely long time (for guns think early 11th century, trains technically go back to ancient times although those may have been hand-pushed).

Guns, arguably, became mainstream when the Colt revolver was produced in 1835. There were quite a few trainlines running before then, so look here to see what time period you want to choose and therefore where the train would have to be.

Hope this helps,

Amy
"It is curious how often you humans manage to obtain that which you do not want."

-Spock.

Click if you love cookies

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:41 pm
Dynamo says...

Well, goes to show how much I know about history. :lol: I'd go with Aqua's word over my own on this one.
Chicken <-- Egg <-- Rocket Powered Fist
Take that, science!

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:13 pm
Ad1la3tt3n says...

Thank you Aqua! I think I have timeline in mind. I'll do a little more reserch and hopefully get started on a draft! Bye!
"Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all."
--- Hypatia of Alexandria
"It would be better not to know so many things than to know so many things that are not so"
---Josh Billings

When a good man is hurt, all who would be called good must suffer with him.
— Euripides