z

Young Writers Society

Wish You Would Step Back From that Ledge

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:49 pm
Starhunter says...

Hey!
So, I was wondering: suppose you were just walking along and you saw someone about to jump off a ledge and commit suicide. What would you say to make them stop? You don't know them, they don't know you, and you really have no idea what is driving them to do this.
Taking into account that this person is about 15 years old (and not necessarily committed to the action, just kinda waiting for someone to stop him), what would you say/do?

Thanks!
Why do we fall?
So we can learn to pick ourselves up.

If you want to view paradise, simply look around and view it. Anything you want to, do it!
Wanna change the world?
There's nothing to it.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:52 pm
Rosendorn says...

I think I'd say "hey!" to try and snap them out of it. Or just run up and pull them back if I couldn't find my voice.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:09 pm
springs616 says...

You could just go up to them and tell them 'please don't do it,' say that life is beautiful if you can make it through the hard parts and that you don't know what's wrong, but that you would be quite willing to listen and help out if only they would get off the ledge and talk about it.
"If wishes were horses we'd all be eating steak," ~ Jayne Cobb

65 Reviews

Reviews: 65
Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:44 pm
Fizz says...

I would probably call emergency services and try to occupy them until someone arrives. I would obviously do everything I could to stop them from jumping, but at the end of the day you are much better off trying to get help from somebody who knows what they're doing. I work in a cafe at the top of a very tall tower, and we have had a number of people threaten to jump, and we always do our best to do what we can, but you have to call emergency services, you just do. You can't take responsibility for something like that and it is very possible that you could say the wrong thing, or that there is nothing you can say to make them change their minds. I'm not saying you should not do anything, I'm just saying that the best thing you can do is get them help from somebody who does know what to do.

96 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 96
Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:36 am
noninjaes says...

I d pull them back and try to distract them and slowly walk them away because shouting something out might scare them into jumping.
Noni Naps Through Nano
NaPoWriMo 2016
Stories Not Otherwise My Own

AnnieJaePayne
The Three Ninjateers
Being awesome since Jan 2012.

436 Reviews

Reviews: 436
Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:29 pm
AquaMarine says...

My first reaction would be a surprised, loud one: something to get their attention and stop them from jumping immediately. After that, if they turned to me, I would run up and take hold of them quickly and talk about nonsensical things to momentarily distract them,

Kind of a hard question, I think! No good answer, and it depends entirely on the person.
"It is curious how often you humans manage to obtain that which you do not want."

-Spock.

Click if you love cookies

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:12 pm
MoonlightMayhem says...

I'd hold him back, and lead him away from the cliff. I'd then ask him what's wrong and attempt to discuss it with him.
Music <3

Death Cab for Cutie - Funeral For A Friend - A Day To Remember - Taking Back Sunday - Safetysuit - There For Tomorrow - OneRepublic - All American Rejects - Yellowcard - Motion City Soundtrack

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:10 am
RileyStone says...

I would strike up a conversation with them. Probably say something lame about the weather, mention its a long way down, ask what they're doing out here. Be friendly, not judgmental. Just get them talking, causally ask them whats going on, get them to think about what they're doing, ask about the people they care about, try to get them to open up/share their story. I'd listen, offer advice, just be a friend and then lead them away from the ledge.
Who do I belong to?
Not earth, not world
Not evil, not
mortals
Not wretches, not horrors

-- Project 86

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:42 am
fictionfanatic says...

I would say, "Wait! Please. I don't know you and you don't know me, but I just know that you'll regret this. If you jump, if you end your life forever, not only will you die, but someone else will too. They will die of a broken heart. Someone out there loves you, I don't know if you see that or not, but they do. Ending your life will only hurt. It won't make anything better. Please, just step back. Take your life into your own hands, gain some control and some power, and take your life back. Please, don't jump."

Something like that
Live, Love, Laugh

178 Reviews

Reviews: 178
Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:28 pm
Paracosm says...

.... Push them off.....

Hehehe.. No, just kidding. I'd start with idle chatter to calm them down. Then I'd try and pull them back, tell them to stop. I'd ask their name and call 911 or a mental hospital. I'd comfort them as best as I can and contact immediate family and friends, then I'd ask if they want a pastor or priest of some sort.
Review unto others as you would have others review unto you.

Don't panic!

Also, Shino!

Random avatar

Reviews: 156
Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:53 pm
McMourning says...

For one, I wouldn't know for sure that was why he was standing on the ledge.
Another, I might join him. Just stand there looking down. Maybe I would try to take a step off to see if he would stop me. Maybe we'd just stand in silence for a while. Maybe I'd say, "I've been there." (I have...Don't say this unless you have felt like that before.)
"One voice can be stronger than a thousand voices, " Captain Kathryn Janeway

Nouns can verb very well actually, they verb better than some verbs do.
— winterwolf0100