z

Young Writers Society

Boarding School

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:44 am
DragonGirl11 says...

I have an idea for a story, and I think I want to have it take place in a boarding school, just so that it would be easier for the characters to see each other often. So I would love to know some stuff about general life on campus, like, how free are they to go off campus, say, for shopping or whatever? Do they wear uniforms all the time or only during lessons? How many students would attend the school? Finally, (and this one's kind of weird but I want to know to make sure my story's believable!) would the most popular guy in school ... ah ... "get around" ... with the girls like he would in a public school? Any additional information would be lovely too!
~*~

"You could look at the raindrops on your window, or you could look through the window and see the rainbow."
~K.C. Oxford

<YWS>

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:50 am
fictionfanatic says...

Here's what I know:

It is likely for the "popular guy" to get around with the girls on campus like in public schools, but keep in mind that they will be watched more closely. Also keep in mind things such as roommates, dorm advisors, teachers, head masters/mistresses, and so on.

As for ability to go off campus, it is usually set that you can go out a) if a trip out is planned by the school/a teacher. B) If you get permission ahead of time to go out (usually on the weekends), AND they have parental consent. And C) If a parent wishes to take them out, but I believe to do that they need to go through some stuff, I'm not too clear on that part.

Uniforms are usually only worn during classes. So during free time/after classes/on the weekends, etc.

As for the amount of students: that depends on how hard it is to get in, how expensive it is, how popular it is, and how exclusive it is. For example, if it is a Catholic boarding school, there is going to be less students than there will be at a regular boarding school.

I suggest taking your characters out on field trips or something! In Switzerland, there is an American boarding school (that also has people from other countries) and the students are taken on ski trips, some trips are organized for kids who can't go home for the holidays, etc.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to PM me :)
Live, Love, Laugh

436 Reviews

Reviews: 436
Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:23 pm
AquaMarine says...

Hi!

The boarding school I go to is for 16-21 year olds, so I'm not sure how useful some of the information will be to you. Feel free to pick and choose. :) How old are the characters in your novel going to be?

-Going off campus:
In my school, you can go out during the day whenever you want as long as you sign out with your houseparents (the people who live near and look after you). If you want to stay overnight somewhere you need parental permission. Basically, it's easy to get off campus during the day time, although you do have to be back in time for 'check in' (which is our curfew time).

-Uniforms:
My school has no uniforms, but they'd just be worn during school time as far as I'm aware.

-Students:
Totally up to you. I'd assume around 300 as a good bet, but you can edit that number slightly.

-Popular guy 'getting around':
Yes! Haha. For this one, you'd really have to sort out the 'character' of your school, though. If it's a very strict/religious schools assume there will be a lot of restrictions on where and when students of opposite sexes can meet. For some input, I can briefly explain what it's like at my school? People get around, for sure, and there aren't actually many restrictions on this. The biggest concern is respecting other people, in my school, so no sexual acts in public places (such as the dorm rooms). Obviously this can be ignored, but just assume that the popular guy would do what the popular guy does, just with a little bit of sneaking around authorities.

Hope this helps! PM me with any more questions/comments that you think I can help with.

Amy
"It is curious how often you humans manage to obtain that which you do not want."

-Spock.

Click if you love cookies

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:38 pm
DragonGirl11 says...

Thanks guys! It really helps a lot!
~*~

"You could look at the raindrops on your window, or you could look through the window and see the rainbow."
~K.C. Oxford

<YWS>

You cannot have a positive life and a negative mind.
— Joyce Meyer