z

Young Writers Society

Book Suggestions

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:42 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

Everyone has heard that the best way to get better at writing is to read, right? Well, I'm working on a YA romance and I've been trying to read more in that genre to get a feel for what's out there. After I'm done I analyze them to pinpoint what I liked and disliked about it. At this point, I'm specifically wanting to read romance books that are deeply emotional, as in made you cry/almost cry. This doesn't happen to me very often and I think it's really powerful when an author can make a reader shed tears over words on a page. I want this experience for my readers in the novel I'm working on and I want some more ideas of how to do that.

1. What is/are your favorite YA romance book(s)?

2. Have you ever read a YA romance book that has made you cry/almost cry (if so, what)?

Thanks much!
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:21 am
Roach says...

Carlito -

I do not think we've met; so let me go ahead and say hello before I impound my recommended young adult romance books on you (erm, literally). Also, Carlito is a cool name, whether or not it is your real one, it is quite pretty indeed. Alright, I should probably get to the point now and whip out my list of recommendations for you, hm, m'dear?

Now, when I first read your question, a million different titles and authors and plot-lines flew to my mind, all at once - can you say overwhelming? Then I began to wonder: well, what kind of romance does she mean? I suppose what I am trying to say is that when you open up any young adult novel, nowadays there is most often a romance inside, it just is whether or not it is the forefront and/or focus of the story itself. There's paranormal, dystopian, hardcore-hit-your-head-with-a-frying-pan-romance, and 'general.' To be frank, your request is hardly anything near specific enough for anyone to come up with a truly, truly helpful list, but I've done my best.

Some might surprise you.

To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee: Lee always did say that she never thought of her story as anything more than a simple love story. I assume you have read this as most schools do require their kids to read it at one grade-level or another. I see the love story entwined in it and it's fabulous - read it until you see the love story, the romance, all the inter-workings. It'll affect you and your writing, beautifully.

Delirium by Lauren Oliver: A much more recent title, I admit; which might be just what you are looking for. In case you haven't heard of it (I assume you have - it's gaining popularity), I will give you a brief run-down: it's dystopian and love is banned as it is classified as a sickness. Major dilemma/conflict or what? Kudos to Lauren Oliver for a hot romance in this one, without the overwhelming sappy stuffs.

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte: I mean, really, what would this list have been without it?

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer: Now, before you start squirming and discrediting everything I have said so far because I've said Twilight is - oh my - actually something to read if you're looking to write a romance, hold it. The gal's got a fanbase to rival the Potterheads and loads of cash - so she did something right.

I have some more, but that should do for now. Not to sound like a bothersome cranky English teacher or anything of the sort, but taking notes is always good - whether it be writing down a quote from the book, a style the author uses that you like, etcetera.

Oh, and kudos to you for reading, dearie.

- roach
"There was John and Jane and Betsy
eating bugs and drinking Pepsi,
dancing jigs up on the fiddle,
up the sides and down the middle."
- Erland & The Carnival

Got YWS?

96 Reviews

Reviews: 96
Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:03 pm
tinkembell says...

Hello!

Hmm, I don't really read normal romances, and because you're not too specific they'll be in the paranormal range ;). It takes a lot for a book to make me cry, and when I do I cry a lot, heh. Hope this helps!

Infinite Days by Rebbeca Maizel
Hereafter by Tara Hudson
Mercy by Rebbeca Lim

These are all sad books, although I didn't cry when I read them.
A few other books -

Matched (can't remember the author, but it has a girl in a green dress trapped in a bubble on the cover).
Knife by R J Anderson
Dead Beautiful by Yvonne Woon
Fallen by Lauren Kate
Halo by Alexandra Adornetto

If you're just looking for how to make your reader cry, these books really made me cry. Mainly because of deaths, but it was all to do with the emotion and the way those deaths were written.

The Vampire Diaries, The Return, Midnight by L J Smith. I cried near the end of the book, where Damon Salvatore dies.
The Forbidden Game by L J Smith. Where Julian dies.

~Tinkem
"The rabbit always squeals in the jaws of the fox, but when has another rabbit ever rushed up to save it?" Damon Salvatore
;'( please, my lump, he just needs HUGS <3
Need a review? Just ask :)
Just keep writing, just keep writing, do-do-do-do-do

198 Reviews

Reviews: 198
Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:20 pm
inkwell says...

I suppose this could be considered YA.

The Elegance of the Hedgehog

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elegan ... e_Hedgehog
"The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is comprehensible." — Einstein

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:23 am
PaulAdams says...

Well, I think if your consideration about romance book is like an adult then it is absolutely wrong. Yes, I agree that some romance books are adult but not all. If you read Fallen by Lauren Kate then you will get an idea how the romance books are. It is marvelous book. I read this for 4 to 5 times and now I understand the actual meaning of love. Must go for it.
Last edited by PaulAdams on Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:54 pm
Dynamo says...

I don't really read young adult romances, I tend to go with the full adult ones. While I'll admit they can get pretty smutty, they're much more interesting simply because of the subject matter the plots revolve around. And I don't read, so much as listen to audio books. I've been listening to J. D. Robb's "In Death" series, which follows the career of a murder cop in the futuristic city of New York, cerca 205X. It's not the same genre I'm writing, which is fantasy fiction, but I use it mostly as a resource for improving my writing style. Examples of interesting character dialogue, expositions, weaving plots, and a bunch more useful things. Since you're 19 I'd suggest checking out the series. Even if you're not going to write with the same amount of, let's say, maturity as J. D. Robb does, it'll still be a really good resource for you.

So to answer your question, that is my favourite romance series and, yes, there have been moments where I found myself shedding tears. The series isn't focused on making you cry, but it has its moments both happy and sad.

You've also got to consider that the people who are able to convey such strong emotions through words have been doing so for a long time. Most of them are in their thirties or fourties, and they've had a lot of practice. Just because you can't convey the same level of emotion in your words now doesn't mean you won't be able to do so later down the road. Keep writing and keep practicing, that's the key.
Chicken <-- Egg <-- Rocket Powered Fist
Take that, science!

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:45 am
Ad1la3tt3n says...

I suggest the shiver series.
"Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all."
--- Hypatia of Alexandria
"It would be better not to know so many things than to know so many things that are not so"
---Josh Billings

"I never expected that I should be a queen so soon."
— Alice's Adventures in Wonderland