z

Young Writers Society

Cocky Characters?

199 Reviews

Reviews: 199
Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:34 pm
Apple says...

I know that I haven’t been on in a very long time guys but that’s only because I have been very busy. Never fear, Apple will endeavour to come online more frequently on the school holidays (which is in, like, four days). :D

Anyways, I came on specifically today to ask y’all a question of great importance. It’s about selfish characters. I am currently writing a story about a teenage rich, snobby boy that has gotten everything he has ever wanted from his father. Now his attitude at first stinks – it’s all about him, no one else; but progression does kick in and by the end of the novel he’ll be a new man. That’s how it is supposed to be.

But when surfing the net I came across this show that had a character that was kind of like my character in the way that he was a coward and thought only of himself. The comments on this character were brutal. Now here comes my question: what the hell should I do? My character is supposed to be a cocky character, it is in his blood but if I have people hating him before they even get to his development, then I’m in trouble.

As a reader, do you hate cocky, selfish characters? Personally I find them hilarious and I LOVE to see their growth into a nicer person towards the end of the novel. Does anyone else gree with me? Please give your feedback, I am just about ready to tear out my hair (not really, but I am close!).
I spy!

Reviews: 0
Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:48 pm
YuriStrike says...

I tend to hate the snobby rich, but if it's a comedy than not that much.

136 Reviews

Reviews: 136
Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:26 pm
Leahweird says...

I think there is a fine, fine, line between cocky, prideful characters (who are awesome) and outright jerks. It must be tricky to right, but I'm sure it can be done.

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:21 am
Payne says...

I agree...I think it would depend heavily on how cocky he is. If he's a jerk all the time, with no redeeming qualities before his character development begins, it could be a definite problem. Also, he shouldn't seem to lead a charmed life; if his cockiness gets him in trouble, or causes problems for him, it could make him a slightly more likable character. A character who 'has it all' probably won't be accepted as well by most readers.
I aim to misbehave.

Is it weird in here, or is it just me? --Steven Wright

199 Reviews

Reviews: 199
Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:49 am
Apple says...

Alright, thanks guys. I'll just have to be careful when writing so I don't step over the line. THIS is going to be majorly difficult. May as well roll up my sleeves and get to work!
I spy!

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:03 pm
Stori says...

There's a classic example of a selfish character- Ebenezer Scrooge. Maybe it would help to read about him?

22 Reviews

Reviews: 22
Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:59 am
demib says...

i love cocky characters but sometimes when people write about them they tend to turn snobby. doesnt that happen to you?
"With everything that has been left unsaid,
They go with the tears you shed."
Don't shed your tears,for your words should not be left unsaid.

884 Reviews

Reviews: 884
Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:26 am
StoryWeaver13 says...

Usually I get a little tired of the cocky-characters-trying-to-change, but you know sometimes they really are funny. I think a lot of it has to do with your approach. Find ways to make us sympathize/understand where your character is coming from so he's more than a stuck-up jerk, and make sure that at the beginning you do still give him some likeable qualities to carry through to the end (it makes the change seem more natural, too).
Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another. ~Lemony Snicket

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:03 am
hockeyfan87 says...

I get a little tired of the cockiness however I like reading when they are cocky and rude to people but on the inside they are actually good people. That could be an option?
when you grow up you realize that Prince Charming is not as easy to find as you thought. You realize the bad guy is not wearing a black cape and he's not easy to spot; he's really funny, and he makes you laugh, and he has perfect hair and isnt wearing a black cape and easy to spot Lots of Love Jenn

Sometimes I'm terrified of my heart; of its constant hunger for whatever it is it wants. The way it stops and starts.
— Poe