z

Young Writers Society

How will he speak his mind during fainting?

71 Reviews

Reviews: 71
Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:02 pm
Gheala says...

I have absolutely NO idea whether I posted in the right place or not, but here it goes anyway....
Alright, so there is a chapter that had accompanied me for weeks now. Frustrating, I have to tell you, and it's all for one simple reason:
My protagonist had fainted a few minutes ago, after being beaten up by about six men in the street for some idiotic reason.
While he's fainting, he will turn out to admire the darkness that he's submerged within. Strangely, he isn't going to feel scared or shaken by the ambiguity of that unknown place, because he was at last not being chased by his past or people's disappointment at his monstrous deeds, but of course he would be confused and lacking comprehension of his surroundings. He'll even ask questions of "where am I?" and "What happened to me?"
Now! My question is very simple: How on earth, will I deliver those feelings of comfort to the reader? My protagonist is supposed to be half aware and half drunk, you know, like any other fainted person. A fainted person sees visions, asks questions, gets terrified and bewildered in the shortest periods of time (Yes, I've been there, so I know). But if he's only half aware, how will he be able to narrate the specific feelings of relief at his final solitude? If I give too much details, the reader might not think it's realistic, because well... How would a fainted person think so clearly?
-.- I'm starting to think that I shouldn't write a descriptions of his state during fainting.
But please, do help me because I certainly need your aid.
I'm back to my YWS after months of disappearance, hoping that I'd gain the immunity of books and quills against the harmful realism of our world.

In case this made no sense, I'm just saying that I'm happy I'm back!

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:04 am
Rosendorn says...

Sensation.

What he hears, feels, smells, ect can be a huge part of it. In a more lucid state, senses tend to become based on faint impressions of the surroundings, so he can just get a quick feel that the place is "safe." Also, since it's just his soul, he could be paying more attention to a gut feel. But that depends on his character.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

“Hope” is the thing with feathers - That perches in the soul - And sings the tune without the words - And never stops - at all -
— Emily Dickinson