z

Young Writers Society

What is 'slam poetry'?

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:44 pm
Payne says...

Eh...I've heard this term a couple of times, and rarely in a positive light. I reviewed a poem recently, and one of the reviewers after mentioned it being slam poetry, which made me nervous about my rather positive review; I thought that perhaps I had mistaken the meaning of the piece.
Anyway, I was just wondering what it is. I'm pretty much a poetry newb...
I aim to misbehave.

Is it weird in here, or is it just me? --Steven Wright

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:57 am
View Likes
DragonGirl11 says...

A poetry slam is basically just a poetry competition where the poets get up and read or recite their poems, most often competitively. So, slam poetry is poetry that's meant to be performed verbally. Unless of course there's multiple definitions that I haven't heard of.
(I had the opportunity about two months ago to attend a workshop on slam poetry, which is actually where I learned the term.)
~*~

"You could look at the raindrops on your window, or you could look through the window and see the rainbow."
~K.C. Oxford

<YWS>

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:52 am
Payne says...

Ohhh...haha, alright. I apparently misunderstood my own misunderstanding. Thank you very much for clearing that up!
I aim to misbehave.

Is it weird in here, or is it just me? --Steven Wright

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:38 pm
DragonGirl11 says...

You're very welcome!
~*~

"You could look at the raindrops on your window, or you could look through the window and see the rainbow."
~K.C. Oxford

<YWS>

If you can't get out of your comfort zone, you'll never find what you're looking for. Don't make things quick and easy to feel better short term. Make a change and then you'll feel better longer term.
— Frinderman