z

Young Writers Society

Poetry question

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:40 am
chiaro0990 says...

Can you guys give me a clear definition of juxtaposition, and some example? I can't seem to get the meaning in the internet. Thank you so much for your help.
Good things happen to certain people.

Need a CONSTRUCTIVE review? don't hesitate to approach me.

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:21 am
View Likes
constantia says...

Juxtaposition isn't primarily a poetry term, but it just has to do with the way things (perhaps words, phrases, scenes) are placed together, whether that be in contrast with each other or... just simply next to each other.

According to Dictionary.com -
Juxtaposition:
1. an act or instance of placing close together or side by side, especially for comparison or contrast
2. the state of being close together or side by side.

I just recently finished reading a chapter of a fanfic that I'd been keeping up with, and the two events the writer chose to put together in the same chapter is a good example of juxtaposition.

The first event is emotionally heavy, thought-provoking, depressing, but still holding some hope. Later on in the same chapter, the writer has a first date event go on, where the atmosphere is light, fun, exciting, interesting and leaves the reader pining for more.

I thought that right there was a good example of juxtaposition. The two proposed events were at complete contrasts with each other. Within the second event, there had been subtle references to and/or conversations about the before mentioned event that helped keep the chapter in sync and not seem like it was just randomly thrown together, even though the two events were essentially complete opposites.

Granted, I couldn't actually explain everything in the chapter, but I hope my explanation helped clear things up for you even the slightest.

I don't care what the miserable excuse is for showing the death of books, live, on screen. Men, I could understand; but books! -
— Edwin Morgan, From the Video Box 2