z

Young Writers Society

Odd Question...

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:41 pm
number32 says...

How many people can fit into a truck? Y'know those kind of house-moving trucks? ^^'

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:33 pm
Rosendorn says...

Are you talking in the cab, or on the bed?

It'd be easier if you gave the length and width of the actual truck bed, as well as if it was open air or had sides. That would make it a mathematical formula, as trucks come in a huge variety of sizes.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

10 Reviews

Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:12 am
number32 says...

How about if the removers van had these measurements;

Unit Size: 10 x 30 x 10
Area (Square ft): 300
Cubic Feet: 3000

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:04 pm
Dynamo says...

Are you talking about full body work or just engine and tire maintanence, because most people who can preform maintanence on a regular car can do the same on a truck of that size, since the front is basically a regular van. If it's full body work, that kind of stuff requires the expertise of guys who work in body shops.

At least that's what I think. I'm not much of a car nut.
Chicken <-- Egg <-- Rocket Powered Fist
Take that, science!

10 Reviews

Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:10 pm
number32 says...

XD I mean, how many people can you fit INTO a removal van.

153 Reviews

Reviews: 153
Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:55 pm
Jagged says...

Are they living or dead? (I'm assuming living, but hey, you never know.) Adult or children? Can we assume average weight and height?
Are they sitting are standing up? Are you going for maximum number of people that can possibly fit in that space, or just for an average number of people who could comfortably be in there without risking death by trampling/asphyxia?
Lumi: they stand no chance against the JAG SAFETY BLANKET

76 Reviews

Reviews: 76
Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:51 am
Formslipper says...

I read an article about expert clowns being able to fit around twenty people in a regular-sized passenger car, but that may not relate to the reason you're asking. Check out the square-footage of the back of house-moving truck, and then divide it by two. That should give you your cramming number.

10 Reviews

Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:31 am
View Likes
number32 says...

So, the area is 300 sq ft, that means that 150 people can fit in there under really squashed conditions?

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:36 pm
View Likes
Kale says...

Ten feet is mighty wide for a van. The widest I've encountered is a bit under eight feet, and considering that some lanes are only nine feet wide, finding a moving van that's much larger than that is not very likely, unless you're talking a cargo container in all its oversized loaded glory.

Ten feet is also very tall for a moving van's compartment. Keep in mind that the taller a vehicle is, the easier it is for the vehicle to tip over. While the total height of the van may be ten feet, that means that the compartment is around eight feet high.

From a quick googling of moving van dimensions, the closest I've found is a 26'5"x7'8"x8'3", LWH. Assuming everyone only takes up two square feet of area, then you could fit about 100 people in there. Theoretically.

See, it's a funny story, really, but I actually helped stuff a bunch of people into a moving van once. We were setting up a camp and so we'd gathered up a ton of volunteers, only to discover at the meeting site that there wasn't enough parking for all the cars at the storage yard where we were storing the camp supplies. So someone came up with the brilliant idea of stuffing everyone inside the back of the moving van we'd rented. In the end, the most we could fit was around 50, and that was with effort and much squishing together to avoid crushed toes as I closed the door. Then again, I believe it was a smaller van (20' versus 26'5"), and we had a lot of big guys who had volunteered their muscle.

I have no idea how uncomfortable it was firsthand since I rode in the cab (>:3), but from how everyone was complaining by the time we reached the storage yard, it was pretty darned uncomfortable and cramped a violation of personal space on all fronts. But that didn't stop them all from cramming back in again to get back to their cars as soon as possible. XD
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

10 Reviews

Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:02 pm
number32 says...

Must of been a dodgy website...

XD Wow, never thought someone would actually know first-hand about this...thanks, it's pretty useful.
Heh...I don;t think the characters in the van would mind too much about being squished since they are criminals being broken out of a prison.

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:29 pm
Kale says...

Well, keep in mind that the compartment has no windows, so if the driver makes a turn, everyone in the compartment is caught off guard. Since we were going to a camp, there were twisty, windy roads, and my dad likes to drive at twice the usual speed limit, and so every time we made a turn, we'd hear this muffled "AAAAAAAAH!" then a even more muffled "OOMPH!" and then an indistinct clamoring as everyone tried to unsquish. It's quite hilarious in retrospect, though at the time, it was quite worrying.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

10 Reviews

Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:59 pm
number32 says...

Haha, that's pretty funny. Thanks, again!

More than anything she wanted the world to be uncomplicated, for right and wrong to be as easily divided as the black and white sections of an Oreo. But the world was not a cookie.
— Roshani Chokshi, Aru Shah and the Tree of Wishes