z

Young Writers Society

Paris, France-- anyone been, or know its history?

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:13 am
View Likes
volleychik992 says...

I am writing a novel that takes place in the 1920s in France-- I know that it is considered by some a peak for Parisian society and its literature, what with figures like Ernest Hemingway wandering its streets. Does anyone know about this time period, or the first world war, or the events that shaped that nation originally? Also, has anyone read any literature done during that time period, such as The Sun Also Rises by Hemingway? And if you have been to Paris, what was it like (sorry that I can't make that question any less vague)?

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:13 am
-KayJuran- says...

Well, I've been to France (although it was more like passing through) so if you've got any more specific questions feel free to ask me. I'm not too sure what to say at the moment, except that you should put Notre Dame in the story - it's really amazing! It's hard to say just how big and amazing Notre Dame and the Eiffel Tower are without actually seeing them yourself.

I know something about Paris in the 40s because of the lit. that I'm having to do for my course, but I'm afraid I don't know much about the 20s.

Feel free to pm me if there's anything you want help with. :P
"There you go - sausages à la bread!" - Blue.

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:34 am
View Likes
volleychik992 says...

I have written about the Notre Dame already-- I'll PM you the first paragraph on my story... just, if you know any details...
"A people without history is like wind in the buffalo grass."

-Sioux Proverb

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:21 am
View Likes
-KayJuran- says...

I already PMd you with this, but I'll post it here as well, just in case anyone else ever needs info..

~~~~~~~~~~~

If you can get hold of it, you might want to check out Jules et Jim by Francois Truffaut. It is set before, during and after the First World War, and may therefore prove useful.

you may also want to check this out A very long engagement, also set during and after the First World War.

The most noticable things about Paris are the architecture - the Eiffel Tower (Tour Eiffel), Notre Dame, Arc de Triomphe and the general architecture of the maisons and apartements. The Seine must also be mentioned, and I seem to remember certain landmarks can be located on different sides of this. Notre Dame is, I think, very close to the Seine.

You may want to try this link. There seems to be some useful information here.

I would also suggest learning specific terms, such as parisiens (different to the English spelling), parigots and departements. It helps if you can speak French, or have a good knowledge of France, and it's history.

I'd also suggest researching the Belle Epoque which ended with the coming of the First World War.
"There you go - sausages à la bread!" - Blue.

"You're wrong about humanity. They are your greatest creation because they're better than you are. Sure, they're weak, and they cheat and steal and destroy and disappoint, but they also give and create, and they sing and dance and love. Above all, they never give up."
— Metatron