z

Young Writers Society

Legalities regarding the use of quotes

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:31 am
View Likes
Payne says...

Alrighty...I occasionally use quotes at the beginning of each chapter or act in a book...I was wondering if there are any copyright legalities regarding the use of quotes (either from individuals, songs, or any other type of media) and what they might be? Is it sufficient just to give credit to the original speaker, or is there something more to it?

It's 3:30 AM, so I'm not quite sure how coherent this question is...
I aim to misbehave.

Is it weird in here, or is it just me? --Steven Wright

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:11 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Fair game: Public domain works. These are 50+ years old and have their copyright expired, but sometimes people have bought the copyrights to another source, so it can get tricky. It's usually a safe bet if you use the original source.

Giving credit for under-50 year old works can help with any plagiarism claims, but you still have copyright infringement to deal with, which I'm fuzzy on.

Also, short phrases cannot be copyrighted last I heard, for reasons that have escaped memory (I think they're too short).

I hope this helps!
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

158 Reviews

Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:03 am
View Likes
Payne says...

Ah, thank you! That definitely helps, and refreshes my memory on the subject...thank you very much!
I aim to misbehave.

253 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 253
Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:43 pm
View Likes
RacheDrache says...

Beware that each country has different copyright laws and different lengths of time before copyrights expire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... ght_length

That link there'll give you an idea of what your country's law is, but you'll probably need to do more research into the specifics. As Rosey said, though, anything that's in public domain is fair game, so there's no time like the present to familiarize yourself with classics and old music!

As for more modern works, it can be done. Stephen King is fond of beginning each of his chapters with a quote. He talked about it somewhere, calling it a right pain in the behind to do. So, it's possible to get all the quotes you want in there. At least for Stephen King. It probably involves getting permission from every single copyright holder in addition to attribution.

This, however, is something to worry about when it comes time for publication, because that's when laws about reuse and remixing come into play, since someone else's work is essentially adding to yours. For now, as long as you provide proper attribution and the quoted sections aren't massive chunks of text, you're not breaking any laws.
I don't fangirl. I fandragon.

Have you thanked a teacher lately? You should. Their bladder control alone is legend.

158 Reviews

Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:40 pm
Payne says...

Hmm, thank you. I figured I might have to do some further research on the subject, so that link will definitely help out for starters. And I do love the classics and old music...
I aim to misbehave.

we went from advice to meth real quick
— ShadowVyper