z

Young Writers Society

Characters Masquerading as Authority Figures

180 Reviews

Reviews: 180
Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:54 pm
Cspr says...

So, in my latest novel "Mythos", my trying pair--Angela and Jae--do a lot of illegal things. It's a fact of life. In my latest chapter, they're going to pretend to be FBI agents. You know, so they don't have to sneak into a house and do recon and perhaps get caught and questioned and a lot of stuff people who do many illegal things shouldn't do.

Anyway, I had a few questions in particular:

Is there a normal, Southern USA response to FBI agents you know of? Would they be a rarity or something commonplace enough but annoying like mosquitoes?

Is there anything in particular that denotes a person as FBI other than a badge and, speaking of which, does anyone here know what a modern FBI badge looks like?

Is a black car required? And, if a tobacco brown Chevy would be suspect, would coming on foot be too odd? (Rental?)

Would it be plausible for two agents to look into the theft of cats when it could be related to a similar crime that resulted in a loss of people's internal organs? And would having Ang and Jae pretend such a crime happened out of state as well ("Yeah, same thing happened in Mississippi. We think there might be a small cult movement growing, same MO over there, and it's come to our concern--") be good?

Anyway, I might think of other questions but those are the ones I really need answered. Thanks in advance to anyone who tries to help. Also, no, I could not just watch the X-Files. I doubt that'd be very effective.
My SPD senses are tingling.

199 Reviews

Reviews: 199
Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:39 pm
Apple says...

Have you tried the X Files? Nah, I'm just joking. Now I know nothing about the FBI, or America and how its government works (well, I do a little), but I'll try and give it a shot. So I'll answer the only questions I know, okay?

Is a black car required? And, if a tobacco brown Chevy would be suspect, would coming on foot be too odd? (Rental?)

I'm pretty sure the dark, slick car is in order, but as an FBI agent I don't think you want to draw a lot of attention to yourself. I think that the black car is more or less for the big screen. What I think is that an FBI agent would go undercover as an average person so for all you know you could be passing them on the street and not have the faintest idea. I don't think the tabacco brown Chevy would be suspected. Although, this is just a suggestion, maybe have them rent a black car because they also haven't the faintest idea what an FBI agent would do. It makes them that little more realistic. But then again, everything is up to you.

Would it be plausible for two agents to look into the theft of cats when it could be related to a similar crime that resulted in a loss of people's internal organs?

I think so. Let me explain. You can easily use this theft of cats to bring out the quirky side of one of the two characters. For example, have them stalling at the doorway of the chosen house they have to search, and either Jae or Angela springs up with the idea of searching for cats. Either way, serious or not, I really think that it will work. For all the people in the story know, looking for cats could be a small part in a major plot.

And would having Ang and Jae pretend such a crime happened out of state as well ("Yeah, same thing happened in Mississippi. We think there might be a small cult movement growing, same MO over there, and it's come to our concern--") be good?

Definitely! If you were planning to use the lie thing then that would work for sure. And if you weren't, it would still fit perfectly in place.

I hope that helped Cspr. I don't want to give you bad information but in my opinion that is what would happen. Maybe check out the internet and try and search for something that could help, or maybe someone with a bit more information will post a reply but otherwise, I think you're set. Good luck, hopefully I wasn't completely wrong.
I spy!

180 Reviews

Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:25 am
Cspr says...

Funnily, I have already gotten around to that scene now (and I think the chapter it belongs to is posted!). And . . . I winged it. Otherwise, thanks for all your suggestions. And, yeah, I looked online a bit, too--not much helpful info though. Probably because it's the FBI. They can't go around sharing their trade secrets, I assume. Either that or my Google skills were faint that day.

Anyway, yes. Thanks.

(Also, very funny. -snorts- X-Files.)

153 Reviews

Reviews: 153
Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:50 am
Jagged says...

It might take a bit more work than you're willing to go through now that you've decided to wing it, but if you ever feel like making sure, I'd suggest getting a LJ account and asking the folks on little-details. I've seen more technical questions answered pretty well on it, so odds are someone who knows what they're talking about will have an answer for you.
Lumi: they stand no chance against the JAG SAFETY BLANKET

180 Reviews

Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:38 am
Cspr says...

Thanks, Jagged! I may have to ask them some questions soon, then. ;)

"Think of all the beauty still left around you, and smile."
— Anne Frank