z

Young Writers Society

Sword question...

206 Reviews

Reviews: 206
Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:16 pm
View Likes
LadyPurple says...

Can a katana break? In my story my character is dueling with this guy and the guy breaks his sword.
You're new? Great seas! Why haven't you gone to the Buddy System yet?

You're dealing with writers. The words "normal" and "usual occurrence" do not compute.
~Rosey Unicorn

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:18 pm
SubjectBlue says...

Everything can break, technically, but a katana is very hard to break.
'I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.' -Stephen G. Tallentyre

"Great minds think alike- idiots are unpredictable"

For Free!
topic86079.html

206 Reviews

Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:20 pm
View Likes
LadyPurple says...

I know...but do you know how it could? The man he's fighting has a sword too (of course) and I was wondering if someone could break a katana with their own sword.

You're dealing with writers. The words "normal" and "usual occurrence" do not compute.
~Rosey Unicorn

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:24 pm
SubjectBlue says...

I guess...
but you have to remember a katana is forged in a very strong way, it's several layers of steel.
If the other sword is landed hardly enough, and is made of a strong enough substance then it should work.
If your story is fantasy, then a unique metal can explain that
'I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.' -Stephen G. Tallentyre

"Great minds think alike- idiots are unpredictable"

For Free!
topic86079.html

206 Reviews

Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:32 pm
LadyPurple says...

It's sorta like a fantasy...but no magic. I guess Mason could be like, "What? How did you do that?" and the guy says something about his sword...

~Rosey Unicorn

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:50 pm
Rosendorn says...

Breaking a sword with another sword is nearly impossible if the swords are newly forged and/or well taken care of. The Mythbusters tested it, and it wasn't happening (even when it was a claymore vs rapier), especially with Katanas.The curve gives the blade strength, and it was designed not to break very easily by having hard steel at the cutting edge (easier to sharpen) and soft steel on the blunt edge to absorb the impact of a cut.

However, if the sword was old or in bad repair, then it could snap (most likely at the hilt/blade connection). However, a good swordsman knew not to go into a fight with an incredibly damaged, unkept, or old sword. Unless you want to show your character as being a rather stupid swordsman, I'd rule that out.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

206 Reviews

Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:14 pm
LadyPurple says...

Hmm....thank you. I'll get to brainstorming then.

~Rosey Unicorn

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:55 pm
View Likes
EloquentDragon says...

You could do one of those cheesy, Japanese movie pull outs:
"What? How did you break my sword? It is not possible!"
"Its simple, my sword was forged in the forgery of all forges, in the tempest mountain. It can cut through stone. It has its own spirit. But your sword has no spirit, and so you hvae been found...wanting."
"Aaaaiiiieeee!" (Charges at the dude with a rock)

...yah...I'm not really helping...
No more countin' dollars... we'll be countin' stars.

Enter, if you dare.

206 Reviews

Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:53 pm
LadyPurple says...

XD Wow...I think I'll just change it around so that the man takes Mason's sword instead or something.

~Rosey Unicorn

192 Reviews

Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:02 pm
EloquentDragon says...

...BTW, "Mason" isn't really an oriental name....
(But then, I don't know the story, so I'm just assuming, judging by the word "Katana")

Enter, if you dare.

206 Reviews

Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:19 am
LadyPurple says...

Hmmm.....

~Rosey Unicorn

1272 Reviews

Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:25 am
Rosendorn says...

Katanas aren't the only kinds of swords available. A Talwar looks like a katana but lacks the exact forging methods and has a much more extreme curve. Also, depending on your time period, you could get away with a non-oriental (to be exact, a non-Japanese) character having a katana.

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

206 Reviews

Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:21 am
LadyPurple says...

:D cool...Thank you!

~Rosey Unicorn

1272 Reviews

Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:36 am
Rosendorn says...

Do keep in mind Talwars have a different purpose than a Katana. Katanas were minimal-stroke-kill swords used by Samurai, mostly on the ground and sometimes on a horse. Talwars were made for horseback fighting and to deliver a killing blow from above an opponent. (They were also an Indian sword, native to the Indian Subcontinent and the Middle East.)

I'd take a look at Useful Notes on Swords by TV Tropes. It gives a good basic overview of the kind of swords available, why they were used, and where they came from.

Although you're probably looking at a straight sword, either way, because those were most common in Europe. Considering how little Asia and Europe traded during eras where swords were common in Europe (they were common in Asia for a bit longer. Especially so in Japan, which kept its borders firmly closed until the mid 19th century [1854], after gunpowder had been invented) it's unlikely you'll get any Asian swords.

Depending on your setting, though, you could bend the rules as much as you want (Note- Fantasy settings or alternate history only.). Look into why various swords were developed and why they became popular to mix and match your own sword style.

192 Reviews

Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:05 am
EloquentDragon says...

What's the story's premise?

(And Rosey, what about those daisho "moon slashing swords"--the ones with the cresent blades near the hilt?)

Enter, if you dare.

'The Answer to the Great Question... Of Life, the Universe and Everything... Is... Forty-two,' said Deep Thought, with infinite majesty and calm.
— Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy