z

Young Writers Society

I need a potentially controversional Book/Quote

162 Reviews

Reviews: 162
Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:30 am
silentpages says...

Hmm... Interesting. Poems, maybe, but I'd really like something that readers (the well-read ones, at least) will be able to recognize. :\ So, if they're more well-known poems, maybe.
"Pay Attention. Pay Close Attention to everything, everything you see. Notice what no one else notices, and you'll know what no one else knows. What you get is what you get. What you do with what you get is more the point. -- Loris Harrow, City of Ember (Movie)

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:11 am
Snoink says...

This comes to mind immediately:

http://www.luminarium.org/sevenlit/donne/sonnet14.php

Very violent, lol... but not at the same time.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:05 pm
View Likes
EloquentDragon says...

What's the premise?
No more countin' dollars... we'll be countin' stars.

Enter, if you dare.

162 Reviews

Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:11 pm
silentpages says...

Cliched. XD

Lol, it was one of those stories where I started writing with no ideas and came up with it as I went, so it slipped into a future world where Censors... uh... censor things. XD If they find something objectable, they completely eliminate it. And they find a lot of things objectable.

One of my characters gets stuck blacking out a line in a book, over and over and over again, so many times that she can never forget it. So I need a quote that's potentially objectable without being overly profane/graphic. Something that was written in an innocent way, but the Censors read into it too much. Possibly recognisable enough that another character will remember having read it before.
"Pay Attention. Pay Close Attention to everything, everything you see. Notice what no one else notices, and you'll know what no one else knows. What you get is what you get. What you do with what you get is more the point. -- Loris Harrow, City of Ember (Movie)

253 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 253
Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:09 am
RacheDrache says...

How about something from centuries ago? Machiavelli?

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Machiavelli

Something from Cervantes?

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Don_Quixot ... 05-1615.29

I'm particularly fond of "marriage is a noose."

Or, what about some Alexandre Dumas?

My favorite of them all, though, would be:

"As Gregor Samsa awoke one morning from uneasy dreams he found himself transformed in his bed into an enormous insect."

by Franz Kafka (<3). The Metamorphisis

Can't have the wee citizens thinking about turning into insects, can we?

Benefit of doing that line is that a lot of people will recognize it. It's about as iconic an opening line as "In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit."
I don't fangirl. I fandragon.

Have you thanked a teacher lately? You should. Their bladder control alone is legend.

162 Reviews

Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:14 am
silentpages says...

Hmm... Good ideas. ^^ I'll have to consider it some more.

253 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 253
Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:25 am
RacheDrache says...

Oh, I have another one! This one would really hit the "You've got to be kidding, you're banning that?" buttons.

Brothers Grimm, yo.

The Grimm (cough, real, cough) version of Snow White ends with this beauty:

"The moment she [i.e. the queen] entered the hall she recognized Snow White, and she was so terrified that she just stood there and couldn't move. But two iron slippers had already been put into glowing coals. Someone took them out with a pair of tongs and set them down in front of her. She was forced to step into the red-hot shoes and dance till she fell to the floor dead."

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Brothers_Grimm
I don't fangirl. I fandragon.

Have you thanked a teacher lately? You should. Their bladder control alone is legend.

162 Reviews

Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:31 am
View Likes
silentpages says...

Ooooh! I hadn't even considered original fairy tales! Some can actually be pretty disturbing, yet the names and stuff would be familiar enough for a reader to catch the allusion...

I think something like that is exactly what I'm looking for! 8D

Thanks! I'll poke around and use either that quote or something similar, from some classic fairy tale like that. ^^ Gracias!

279 Reviews

Reviews: 279
Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:31 am
View Likes
MasterGrieves says...

How about something from Crash by JG Ballard? Or maybe Torture Garden by Octave Mirbeau? Naked Lunch by William Burroughs? Just a suggestion.
The Nation of Ulysses Must Prevail!

If you don't like Mikko, you better friggin' die.

The power of Robert Smith compels you!

Adam + Lisa ♥

When you greet a stranger look at his shoes.
Keep your money in your shoes.

I was 567ajt

180 Reviews

Reviews: 180
Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:02 am
Cspr says...

Some things I can imagine being censored: Ender's Game, The Chocolate War, Catcher in the Rye, Gone with the Wind, Child 44, anything based off of gangs/drug use/teens having physical relationships (i.e. "Think of the children!") like Go Ask Alice or Crank, To Kill a Mockingbird (you got that right), The Perks of Being a Wallflower, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, 1984, Animal Farm, Gulliver's Travels (too many ideas--like the previous two), Of Mice and Men, The Bluest Eye, The Color Purple, King and King, Brave New World, Slaughterhouse-Five, and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

I'm going by 'most banned/censored' for some of them, but I can definitely see why others in a seriously uptight society would be banned. Child 44 sort of sums up a book to be banned--marriage of convenience, differing sexuality, executions, children turning on their parents, starvation, cannibalism, mental illness, mass executions, a killer of children, communism, etc. Feel free to use it as a reference point? (I only read half of it if you were curious. I'm not that morbid. Maybe.)
Last edited by Cspr on Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
My SPD senses are tingling.

162 Reviews

Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:05 am
silentpages says...

Thanks, lol. ^^ That's a pretty good list of alledgedly questionable literature. XD

I don't think I'm morbid... But things I write turn out creepier than I mean them to. And I wrote some weird stuff when I was younger. XD

180 Reviews

Reviews: 180
Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:25 am
Cspr says...

You're welcome. XD Hope it'll help. (I'll also add anything by Stephen King to my list.)

Yeah, when I was eleven I wrote about a kid's mother getting her head blown off and then let my mother read it. She was not pleased. (I had no idea what was wrong with it. There was an explosion. Because clearly explosions make people's heads pop off.) I believe I have continued my trend with the Coh and Mirabella series, most of my short stories, most of my poems (one is about a wife-beater because I'm that chipper), and--HAZEverse, Lukewarm, and Mythos at times (there's a monster that steals people's hearts while they're still alive). I don't do normal or plain old funny well. Or fantasy. I created a random genre--horrific fantasy. Where there are smoke beasts and you can be possessed by demons or be executed for things you can't control.

You?

(Also, up-thread-poster and their suggestion of old fairy-tales? Lovely! I mean, Catskin, The Girl with No Hands, Godfather Death, and I can go on and on and on. -shudders- They manage to give ME the creeps. Says somethin'.)
My SPD senses are tingling.

162 Reviews

Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:36 am
silentpages says...

Yup, I think old fairy-tales are definitely a promising route to go on for this. ^^

Anyway. When I was younger I went through a telepathy/astral projection phase that was... uh... interesting. I just recently found an old short story where someone executed on the ice of an Arctic-type nation's soul or whatever split from their body (or something. I have absolutely NO memory of writing that one XD). I've crushed characters with flaming trees, murdered characters in assorted other ways... *shrug* Maybe it's not the creepiest stuff anyone's ever read, but it's creepier than I think it will be when I start out. XD

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:54 pm
roostangarar says...

Little bit of Julius Caesar?

'Cry, "Havoc", and let slip the dogs of war'

I've never read it, but I know that quote.
I hae but ane gallant son, and if he were to follow me in my footsteps, how proud I shall be.

Time isn't a straight line. It's a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff

People say I love you all the time - when they say, ‘take an umbrella, it’s raining,’ or ‘hurry back,’ or even ‘watch out, you’ll break your neck.’ There are hundreds of ways of wording it - you just have to listen for it, my dear.
— John Patrick, The Curious Savage