z

Young Writers Society

I need a potentially controversional Book/Quote

162 Reviews

Reviews: 162
Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:57 am
silentpages says...

Okay, so I'm writing a sci-fi short story that involves Censorship (maybe it's been done before, but... Meh) and I need a specific quote from a book that could be considered controversial.

Nothing too bad, or profane. Just something that could be considered questionable enough to be blocked out by a hyper-uptight censorship committee. Maybe something involving things that could be taken as violent, or criminal?

I'd like a quote that some people will recognize, maybe from a classic? Like Alice in Wonderland or To Kill a Mockingbird, or something like that. *shrug*

Thanks for the help. :)
"Pay Attention. Pay Close Attention to everything, everything you see. Notice what no one else notices, and you'll know what no one else knows. What you get is what you get. What you do with what you get is more the point. -- Loris Harrow, City of Ember (Movie)

270 Reviews

Reviews: 270
Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:58 am
fireheartedkaratepup says...

The N-word in Huckleberry Finn.

Y'know, since they've edited it out now.

Silly peoples.
"Ok, Lolpup. You can be a girl worth fighting for."
--Pengu

162 Reviews

Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:07 am
silentpages says...

Lol. Like I said, I'd like to avoid profanity or anything that's obviously controversial. I'd like the quote to show that they're being ridiculously over the top about it all. Plus, this is kind of far in the future, so I'd like a quote that wouldn't have been crossed out before then. Something that could be vaguely bad, but right now is considered acceptable. *shrug*
"Pay Attention. Pay Close Attention to everything, everything you see. Notice what no one else notices, and you'll know what no one else knows. What you get is what you get. What you do with what you get is more the point. -- Loris Harrow, City of Ember (Movie)

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:30 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

Can you use the Bible?

Also, maybe:

"The Silver Shoes," said the Good Witch, "have wonderful powers. And one of the most curious things about them is that they can carry you to any place in the world in three steps, and each step will be made in the wink of an eye. All you have to do is to knock the heels together three times and command the shoes to carry you wherever you wish to go."

"If that is so," said the child joyfully, "I will ask them to carry me back to Kansas at once."
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

162 Reviews

Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:06 am
silentpages says...

That's something I was contemplating, Snoink. I'll see what else turns up.

Could you explain how the wizard of oz quote could be controversial? Because of the whole 'Witch' thing, or what?

Reviews: 4
Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:33 am
Dethl says...

Might this one work? its from a book called The Bell Jar by Silvia Plath

"What a man wants is is an arrow into the future and what a woman is is the place the arrow shoots off from."

162 Reviews

Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:36 am
silentpages says...

Mm... Interesting. But I'm not sure it's exactly what I'm looking for. *sigh*

Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:39 am
Dethl says...

Ok, what about this one from the Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger?

"In my mind, I'm probably the biggest S3X maniac you ever saw."

162 Reviews

Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:42 am
silentpages says...

XD Maybe something a little more subtle. Something that could be taken as a violent theme or something might be good, but again, I'd like something that you'd really have to overthink in order for there to be anything offensive about it.

Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:56 am
Dethl says...

I Googled "double meaning quotes", but all I could find was this

"Is that a gun in your pocket? Or are you just glad to see me!" Mae West

It might be kind of violent, but I think it isn't from a book.

162 Reviews

Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:58 am
silentpages says...

I also think that violence isn't what would make that quote controversial. XD

Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:03 am
Dethl says...

silentpages wrote:I also think that violence isn't what would make that quote controversial. XD

XD you're right. whatever..I think this is everything I have, so good luck finding your quote :D If I get one I'll tell you.

162 Reviews

Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:05 am
silentpages says...

Okay. ^^ Thanks for trying!

Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:13 am
Dethl says...

Since I can't give up I'll leave this as my final statement. I found this that seems to be a page with a reasonable amount of double meaning quotes, you might find it useful. As far as I read (third one XD) it looks promising.

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/double.html

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:00 am
Snoink says...

I like the Wizard of Oz because it inspired the GREATEST MOVIE OF ALL TIME, ZARDOZ.

Is poetry out of the question? Because I can think of a bunch of wonderful poems to censor, but my mind is failing on the fiction world.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

Writing is the geometry of the soul.
— Plato