z

Young Writers Society

India/Pakistan/Other middle eastern countries...

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:05 am
View Likes
sabradan says...

LamaLama wrote:Pakistan could be seen as the middle east, since Afghanistan is considered middle eastern. But india is a sub continent of Asia.

But Afghanistan isn't considered Middle Eastern. It is considered Southern Eurasian.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:01 am
View Likes
Myth says...

If you introduce an Indian/Pakistani/Bengali character you don't do their surname first like some of the Arabs. Most males are named after their father/grandfather (paternal) and females are named after their mother/grandmother (maternal) or after someone else in the family.

What year is the story set in? There was a time in India when they did not speak Hindi, it was Urdu.

Some Bengali names are not Arabic because our language is more close to Persian/Iranian than Arabic, they are deprived from Persian names such as Jahan (male/world), Javed (male/I think it means eternal, will have to ask my Mum), Parveen (female/don't know the meaning), Shabnam (female/dew), Shahnaz (fenale/king's pride or pide of the king). You can also research Mughal emperor/empresses names.

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:22 pm
View Likes
-KayJuran- says...

I don't know if I've said this already, but this isn't actually set in India or wherever; it's a completely made-up country for my (fantasy) story. I'm just using Pakistan/India as a base for the culture and for names etc. as the climate/geography of the island in my story is meant to be similar, so I figured it'd make sense to base culture (such as dress, architecture) on Pakistan or India. I'm using arabic names so that I can find names which sound similar (hence finding a base for names) and that I can find suitable meanings for.

However, I don't know if you'd be interested by this or not, but I'm considering writing something on Indian/Pakistani culture at some point, as I'm finding all this stuff that I've researched pretty interesting. :P Not sure what that could be about yet though.
"There you go - sausages à la bread!" - Blue.

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:42 am
View Likes
Myth says...

Oh right. Also on clothing men and women also wear kurta which is like a shirt that can be above the knees or below.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
— Martin Luther King Jr.