z

Young Writers Society

Genre questions

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:04 am
Wolfdra says...

Alright, so, I was kinda wondering on something. Would it be alright to have two different genres for the same book series? I'm sure that sounds confusing, but could the first book of the series be MG and then the rest of the books YA?
"'Death happens,' as we like to say. 'And when I get paid for it, death happens more often.'"

"La shai'a waqi'on motlaq bal kollon momken."

"We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each of them lies an irreparable truth."

Rest in peace, Harry. <3

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:47 am
Dynamo says...

Depends if it fits with the rest of your story. For example, you could have a book that featured both fantasy and sci-fi if A) time travel was involved, or B) it was some sort of war between science and magic.
Chicken <-- Egg <-- Rocket Powered Fist
Take that, science!

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:05 pm
Rosendorn says...

It would help if you explained what "MG" was.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:12 pm
Wolfdra says...

Middle grade, then young adult. The reading audience. I couldn't think og the right wrongs las night when I posted.
"'Death happens,' as we like to say. 'And when I get paid for it, death happens more often.'"

"La shai'a waqi'on motlaq bal kollon momken."

"We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each of them lies an irreparable truth."

Rest in peace, Harry. <3

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:26 pm
Rosendorn says...

So from 9/12 to YA... I'm not sure.

What would probably happen is, depending on your themes, it would all start off as YA. Middle-grade tends to be pretty distinct from teen works, and I have seen a handful of YA series start off with what would be a middle-grade protagonist. But because they dealt with stuff better suited to YA later on the publisher just put it all in YA. Since middle-grade isn't really supposed to deal with that stuff, it's best to just market it as YA from the start. (The series would also get broken up in the bookstore, since YA and middle-grade are usually separate. Another reason to market it as YA only).

However, having it start as middle-grade but going to YA is fine. Not seen often, but fine. It would just get marketed as YA.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

96 Reviews

Reviews: 96
Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:22 pm
tinkembell says...

It depends how big the gap is. MG readers probably won't continue the series if the next book is YA, same as YA readers would probably ignore them if the first one is MG. I think you need to evaluate whether it's too YA for MG grade readers or the opposite, if it is, then it probably won't work.
"The rabbit always squeals in the jaws of the fox, but when has another rabbit ever rushed up to save it?" Damon Salvatore
;'( please, my lump, he just needs HUGS <3
Need a review? Just ask :)
Just keep writing, just keep writing, do-do-do-do-do

I don't do time.
— Liberty