z

Young Writers Society

What are ways someone would summon a dark spirit?

Reviews: 0
Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:14 am
ilessthan3you says...

I'm writing a paranormal book, and I've never even delved into the genre before. Apparently, ouiji boards are cliche. I need a teen character to be naively(or not) doing something to summon a dark spirit. Any ideas? Thanks!

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:45 pm
Talulahbelle says...

Personally, I think this is one of those things you should feel free to take artistic liberties with. THere are so many different beliefs and cultures, and they all do it their own way. You can Google and that'll bring up alot.

Now, this is what I've heard being part of an Irish heritage in the American South. Anything you call forth (meaning any "spells" you cast) opens a door for things to come on through. Ouiji boards included. Also, certain people have more of a connection to that stuff. So, if your character is one of those people they could easily bring something forth by say, joking around with friends and doing "Bloody mary" type stuff, getting high and staring into a candle or reflection, even certain types of meditation.

Like I said, do whatever fits into your story and character. The paranormal has rules, but no one really listens to them.
I go to seek a Great Perhaps...

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:01 pm
SubjectBlue says...

There are many ways to do so, the real question is: what culture summon are you interested in, because they are very different sometimes.
if you have a more specific idea of what you're looking for, feel free (if you want) to contact me. I'm no expert, but I know a thing or two about mythologies and such, and have some friends who are really into that.
'I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.' -Stephen G. Tallentyre

"Great minds think alike- idiots are unpredictable"

For Free!
topic86079.html

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:18 pm
BlackwoodForest says...

Human sacrifice! Or if your character's a naive teen....maybe not. :( Hmmm....I think this is something you should feel free to make up. In many cultures there are said to be spells and objects that can be used to summon spirits, but they're not really used anymore and most are considered lost myths. in the book "The Forbidden Game" by LJ Smith the main character is tricked into entering the shop of the dark spirit Julien and becomes trapped in his games with her friends. She doesn't do anything really, she just buys a board game from the 'human' dude that she doesn't know is a trap.

You could also do a sort of genie-in-the-bottle thing where the character unknowingly buys or finds something cool (like a locket or carved stone or just a normal object) that is attached to a dark spirit. If you're looking for rituals it can just be some kids fooling around reading 'spells' that they don't know are real, and you can make those up.

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:21 pm
View Likes
Kale says...

In a lot of cultures, due to its reflective properties, water is considered a portal to the world of spirits, especially if the body of water is still. Stagnant pools, puddles, standing bowls of water, even/especially larger bodies like lakes and oceans: all of these were considered dangerous to gaze into or even approach unless one was properly prepared and protected because one's spirit (and sometimes even body) could be dragged into the depths of the spirit world, never to be seen again.

Mirrors, especially glass ones, share a lot of the mystical properties of water due to their reflectivity, and the motif of mirrors being used in summoning are quite common worldwide in cultures that had mirrors.

You might be familiar with scrying as depicted in popular culture; while mirrors and still bodies of water were used in scrying, the scrying that is depicted is rather tame compared to the potential dangers that most cultures associated with the practice. Scrying wasn't just staring into the reflective surface and seeing pictures and images; it often involved direct communication with spirits which could, if you weren't careful, deceive you with the intentions of causing disaster. Couple that with how water and mirrors acted as gateways between the worlds, and spirits could come out of the water/mirror during a scry to wreak havoc if the proper precautions were not taken.

A very believable situation could be that your character is curious about mystical practices (like scrying) and tries it on their own without taking the proper precautions, most likely because they aren't aware of the proper precautions to take. Because of this, a dark spirit is able to escape.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:40 pm
Dynamo says...

What about agreeing to give up a first-born son to a demonic entity in order to enlist its aid? I know they did something like that in the movie Paranormal Activity 2, and such a plot element would lead to complications for future characters if you plan on making a series. Not quite sure how the character would get in contact with the entity in the first place, though. As morbid as this may sound, maybe you can try doing some research into demonic or satanistic cults.
Chicken <-- Egg <-- Rocket Powered Fist
Take that, science!

96 Reviews

Reviews: 96
Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:40 pm
tinkembell says...

Samhain (or Halloween) ^^. Supposedly it's when the veil between the two worlds is at it's thinnest. You you easily get the character to look into a flame (candle would work but a bigger one would be better, and outside) and ask spirits to talk to them/join them ect. Obviously any spirits could get through, so cue bad, mischievious spirit ;)
Hope I helped! (yes, I kind of like this sort of thing :P)

~Tinkem
"The rabbit always squeals in the jaws of the fox, but when has another rabbit ever rushed up to save it?" Damon Salvatore
;'( please, my lump, he just needs HUGS <3
Need a review? Just ask :)
Just keep writing, just keep writing, do-do-do-do-do

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:23 pm
Unfinite says...

Just off the top of my head, evil spirits are normally attracted by the presence of 'evil' emotions in a person, so if your character is full of depression, a need for vengenace or perhaps a hatred for a single person, demons or evil spirits are usually meant to be more likely to appear.

This can also be augmented by a sacrifice. This doesnt have to mean the sacrifice of a life; a simple sample of blood (perhaps onto a dark symbol or apparatus) to entice an evil being is often thought to suffice. So if you wanted it to be an accident it could be a papercut leaking onto a book about paranormal, or an emotion consuming the character, etc.

Mightn't be much to go on, but I hope it helps.
He catches raindrops from his window
They remind him of how we fall
From the stars back to our cities
Where we've never felt so small

- White Lies (From the Stars)

Reviews: 4
Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:04 pm
Dethl says...

A Grimoire is a magic book that includes instructions on how to create magical objects like talismans and amulets, how to perform magical spells, charms and divination and also how to summon or invoke supernatural entities such as angels, spirits, and demons. They were used mainly in the 16th and 17th century by necromancers and pagan wizards.

I hope this can help you.

You can, you should, and if you’re brave enough to start, you will.
— Stephen King