z

Young Writers Society

writing a book

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:57 am
Tarshni says...

Hi guys,
I just want to know of any novel tips that you guys use.
With regard to chapter lengths etc.

Kind regards
Tarshni
By Tarshni Chetty
"The Art of writting is defined by one's ability to imagine and believe in the beuty of words"

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:09 pm
Rosendorn says...

When it comes to the details like that, I don't really focus on them until I get to the second or third draft if then. Your first few drafts are all about getting the story out and getting it to make sense. Then you start looking at chapter lengths, based on what feels right for the story.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

72 Reviews

Reviews: 72
Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:23 pm
tigershark17 says...

Well, the average chapter length is about ten pages, and standard manuscript form is 1" margins on all sides. However, like Unicorn said, focus on the story first. Don't worry about stuff like that until later.
Behind every impossible achievement is a dreamer of impossible dreams.
--Robert Greenleaf

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:25 pm
Dynamo says...

Tips on writing a novel, eh? I could go on and on with information that would be helpful for aspiring writers... which I did. Here's a link to a thread I posted a little while back that has some useful informationt hat I think you could benefit from: topic82592.html There's also a link within my post on that thread to another thread someone posted back in September that's more centralized around the actual writing process.

A little heads up, if you're a first-time writer and have never had a book published before try to keep your novel around 100,000 words or under. I did a little research and found that most publishing agencies won't even look at any manuscripts in the range of 120,000 words. Too much of a risky investment, since the actual publishers have to pay for each page of each book it produces, and if the book ends up not selling all that money will go down the tubes.

Hope this helps.
Chicken <-- Egg <-- Rocket Powered Fist
Take that, science!

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:20 am
Tarshni says...

Thank you guys! Its a really long novel though. I geuss I will have to wait until I am done to focus on these things! I will check out the link! Thanks for the help!
By Tarshni Chetty
"The Art of writting is defined by one's ability to imagine and believe in the beuty of words"

Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain.
— Joseph Campbell