z

Young Writers Society

Stains

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:20 am
Stori says...

So, one of my Warriors characters is named Yellowfoot for good reason. I was wondering, might there be a plant or mineral that would permanently stain her fur?

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:41 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Permanent is a bit of a stretch. If you have repeated and prolonged exposure you can have long-term staining. But the way the biology goes it'd be very difficult/near impossible to have a one-time exposure provide a permanent stain. Constant exposure would do the job just as well, but you'd need a setting that allows for constant exposure.

I'd suggest you google "natural yellow dye plants" or something similar, to get a list of plants that could produce dye under the right circumstance. You can cut the "plants" for minerals.

However, dyes are usually extracting by boiling. In your research, you need to narrow your list down to plants or minerals that produce a yellow colour right off the bat, when you come into contact with them.

Try looking into ocher or other clay-based pigments. They're probably the most likely in your setting.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

522 Reviews

Reviews: 522
Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:12 am
View Likes
canislupis says...

Hi!

Like Rosey said, permanent discoloration from a dye would be pretty unlikely. You said fur, so I'm assuming some kind of animal. She could have a hereditary disease that would cause loss of pigmentation around the feet and eyes. Siamese cats have a certain phenomena: http://www.vetinfo.com/catfur.html

Some parasites and skin conditions cause fur color changes as well; I'd just try googling it.

Another possibility is that the fur was bleached in some way, and pigment was lost to some degree. Maybe the fur was burnt off, and grew back a different color over the scar. I don't know what your story is about, but you could come up with some mystical explanation.

Good luck! Hope I helped.

Lupis

565 Reviews

Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:49 pm
Stori says...

Thanks for your help, guys.

*has a second question* How can I explain that my character was adopted without telling it outright?

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:25 am
Salem says...

You could try using a line like "when he came to live with them.." or "whoever took him into their home...". If you just want readers to know that these people aren't the character's real parents, you could have him call them by their first names. If he has any adoptive siblings, you could say stuff like "they treated him like a brother, although they shared no blood". Stuff like that.

Hope this helps!

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:07 am
EloquentDragon says...

I debate!!!
There is this one plant that does permenatly stain fur/hair. But it's like hair dye, au natural. However, what if that plant was to come in contact with the skin, thus staining the skin? (That's a stretch, I know...) Anyway, can't remember the plants name, something boring. And it was red.
My advice: There's so many obscure types of plants out there, why not create one?
I wouldn't care, and I usually hate non-facts in books.
No more countin' dollars... we'll be countin' stars.

Enter, if you dare.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:31 am
Snoink says...

Stori wrote:Thanks for your help, guys.

*has a second question* How can I explain that my character was adopted without telling it outright?

You could use sibling tensions to bring this up, possibly.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

522 Reviews

Reviews: 522
Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:00 am
View Likes
canislupis says...

It depends on why it's important to the story, really. I have a few friends who were adopted, and it doesn't often come up in conversation.

Anyway, you could have other characters talk about how they look nothing alike, and then have one of them be all "oh, she's adopted." Not literally, but something like that. Like I said, it depends on why it's important. If you're trying to avoid drawing attention to it, you'd have to be more devious about it, and maybe bring it up as part of the charry in questions' inner psyche.

Good luck!

Lupis

565 Reviews

Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:38 am
Stori says...

It's important because she's a squirrel and doesn't quite know how to act like one.

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:44 am
anasn2 says...

Hey!

I just came across this. Well being a pharmacist, I can tell you that Iodide or Sodium give yellow stains. As for permanent, I would suggest Lead Iodide which would, in my opinion, fit perfectly. Its yellow colour is vibrant, and the compound itself is toxic; a perfect fit for a warrior animal! I don't actually know where it comes from, I think its synthetic.
Bilirubin on the other hand, is a natural yellow biological compound. It comes from the breakdown of Red Blood Cells. The yellowish colour you get around bruises are caused by Bilirubin.

Sorry about all the scientific talk, but you asked for it :P
All the best
Life was made to annoy us.
Try it: contests/viewcontest.php?id=66

Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm.
— Abraham Lincoln