z

Young Writers Society

How would you describe this place?

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sat May 28, 2011 10:06 am
Vramel says...

I'm going to call this place Evergreen Terrace but am finding it hard to describe, do you have any ideas?

I'm a Writer!

If you want to help a dragon egg in need click here: http://dragcave.net/view/YQdH

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat May 28, 2011 4:47 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

First, figure out what's so important about this place you want to describe it. In fiction, it's generally best to only describe what's important to get a setting, and/or what the character would notice. One thing about description is, it always needs to be in a character's voice.

As for how to describe the place, pick out a few important features that really make the scene. What's important for creating the mood? What are the characters likely to notice? How would they word it?

Also, if this is a first draft, don't worry about how you're going to describe things at all. You'll have plenty of drafts to revise it.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:30 am
View Likes
Salem says...

When I think about describing a scene, I find that it feels more real if you involve all five senses. Instead of just thinking about what it looks like, think about what sounds there are, how it smells, how it makes the character feel, is there a taste in the air. On a street, there can be lots of things: the sound of a car back-firing, leaves on trees, children playing outside. It can smell like flowers and fresh paint in a new neighbourhood, or like garbage and mold if positioned near a dump. Is the wind blowing? Is it sunny?

If you incorporate the senses in your description in a smooth way, it will make the setting really come alive for readers.

I didn't know beards could do that ;)
— ShadowVyper