z

Young Writers Society

What job would this character have?

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Sat May 21, 2011 7:55 pm
Matthews says...

So my MC's dad is a "hard-working businessman". He goes on a lot of business trips, and takes care of old, ancient books. Basically, for the story, he needs to have access to the MC's school library's really old special books, but he also needs to go away on business trips....SO, what kind of job would this be? Or is it OK to leave it unclear and just say that because of his job he has access to the books, and goes away on a lot of business trips?
Have I not commanded thee? Be strong and of good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed, for the lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Tue May 24, 2011 11:52 am
Dynamo says...

This is an easy one, a college proffessor.
Chicken <-- Egg <-- Rocket Powered Fist
Take that, science!

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Wed May 25, 2011 12:24 am
View Likes
Kale says...

More likely they would be someone who restores and maintains rare books, in other words, a bookbinder.

An example of a character that's a bookbinder can be found in Inkheart: Meggie's father, Mortimer, is a bookbinder, and he travels a lot to acquire and repair books.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

884 Reviews

Reviews: 884
Fri May 27, 2011 3:43 am
StoryWeaver13 says...

The first two suggestions are good ideas. The only other thought I'd have is historian, maybe even one who specializes in the written word (ie. ancient text, old manuscripts, etc.)
Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another. ~Lemony Snicket

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:39 am
Salem says...

What kind of school library? I have trouble believing that any high school would have an old/rare book collection. In university, for sure.

He could be an English or History professor, he could be an Art History professor specializing in illuminated manuscripts or he could be a Religion professor studying old copies of the Bible, Torah and Qua'ran. As a professor, you can travel to give guest lectures at other schools as well as to investigate further into your own studies. Just remember that profs have a very specific area they are interested in, so give your character's dad a particular obsession if you choose this route.

If it's a university library, he could also be a Department Head, Dean of Students, on the Board of Trustees or somebody working in administration. They would travel for many different reasons and would definitely know the right people to get into the books room. He could be the Head Librarian. He could be an archivist, somebody who preserves old books. He could be a museum curator, traveling to look for new additions to collections. He could be an antique dealer, own or be a higher-up at a famous auction house (like Park West or Christie's) or be an appraiser of antiques.

Does he necessarily need to have access or does he need to know how to gain access? Almost anybody can get where they want to be, if they know the right people.

I will call them my people, which were not my people; and her beloved, which was not beloved.
— Romans 9:25