z

Young Writers Society

Time Periods

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Wed May 11, 2011 8:20 pm
View Likes
LittlePrincess says...

So I am writing a novel/novella/story and I have come across a dilemma. There are two story lines, one that is the present and one that is flashbacks. When I originally thought up the plot I didn't take into account that there would be a difference in times (specifically a 23 year period). So the obvious thing to do would be to have the present story take place in 2011 and the flashback to be in 1988. However, my original idea involves texting which obviously did not exist in 1988 and since I did not live in 1988 I wouldn't exactly know how to portray it. If the need be I could figure something out to replace texting.
My other option is for the flashback to be in like 2007 and the "present day" be in 2030. But I didn't live in 2030 either so i'll get somethings wrong.
I don't know what to do. Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you so much for your help.
"One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes."
The Little Prince

199 Reviews

Reviews: 199
Wed May 11, 2011 8:51 pm
View Likes
Apple says...

Well to me it kind of depends what your story is about. My advice is if it's more of a love story or not one where this isn't a lot of action, the 1988 idea sounds a lot better. If you do go with this you'll have to change the type of communication tools that they (the MC and the other character) have. I believe that they started making mobile phones in 1988 anyway but you had to be rich to get one I guess. But then again, there were phones, why don't they communicate through that.

My other suggestion would be if you want the mobile phone communication and your doing a kind of action-y story then go for the future. Did Suzanne Collins know anything about Panem when she was writing? Did the guy who made Star Wars (I always forget his name) know anything about the planets he was creating? It doesn't have to all be truth and the reader won't suspect it to be if you have such a leap like that. As a writer, you're going to have to fill in those gaps and if you do it logically enough then the reader will believe that you actually lived in 2030 with open arms.

I hope this was answers your question or did I just create more? All well, that's the process of writing. If you have any more questions you can PM and I'll answer as best as I can.

Good luck,
Apple.
I spy!

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Wed May 11, 2011 10:52 pm
View Likes
LittlePrincess says...

Thank you! I'll do the 1988 thing because its more of a romance than action. I'll just change the texting part to like... talking in person. Because I think talking on the phone is a little too intimate, if that makes sense.
"One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes."
The Little Prince

“Can a magician kill a man by magic?” Lord Wellington asked Strange. Strange frowned. He seemed to dislike the question. “I suppose a magician might,” he admitted, “but a gentleman never could.”
— Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell