z

Young Writers Society

Steampunk?

180 Reviews

Reviews: 180
Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:53 pm
View Likes
Cspr says...

So...I'm quite new to the genre--steampunk. It's a mix of skiffy and historical (Victorian era) if I remember (and have my head screwed on right today). However, I was wondering if anyone could help me learn the limits, cliches, etc. of this genre, though? I'm writing a short story for a contest ('tis free--and I'm a cheapskate) and it's supposed to be in that genre--challenging, yes--and I was wondering if anyone could help me with finding out more info?

Also, if I have this in the wrong place, sorry.

Anyway, thanks for you all's time.
My SPD senses are tingling.

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:40 am
View Likes
Kale says...

The best way to learn about steampunk is to read it. H.G. Wells and Jules Verne are two of the main sources of inspiration for the genre, so reading up on them is a good idea.

Girl Genius is a steampunk webcomic on the more fantastic side of the steampunk scale and has a lot of the "requisite" elements of steampunk.

This thread gives a basic overview of the genre, though there are some points I disagree with. It was written for a contest that ended ages ago, just for context.

This page has an interesting little tutorial on how to draw steampunk machines. It'll give you a general idea of what to consider when describing or inventing your steam-powered machines.

This site has steampunk themed jewelry and accessories.

There's a pretty strong community revolving around steampunk, and a quick Google search will bring you right to them.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

180 Reviews

Reviews: 180
Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:44 am
View Likes
Cspr says...

Thank you for the links! I've read books like "Leviathan" and some of "Time Machine", but I just wanted to know what 'mainstream' was and what I should avoid doing (overdone/insane) and, you know, basics. The link with the pictures helped (reminded me 'too fantastic' doesn't exist--well, maybe) and so did the explanation link.

Anyway, going from all that...it sounds like I can do an alternate reality if I want (I'm normally a fantasy writer--other worlds are my forte), involve weird-looking, Max Ernst-style technology, and generally do a nice mind-freak. Excellent.

So, yes. Thanks.
My SPD senses are tingling.

You must never give into despair. Allow yourself to slip down that road, and you surrender to your lowest instincts. In the darkest times, hope is something you give yourself. That is the meaning of inner strength.
— Uncle Iroh