Young Writers Society

About canon characters in a fanfic.

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:31 pm
View Likes
CelticaNoir says...

Hi!

So, I'm kind of wondering, how do you pull off a really complex canon character and make him/her sound, well, fairly consistent with the original work? It's just that, I've been trying to write a fanfic of Artemis Fowl since forever, but I find Artemis a difficult character to work with. I'm just wondering if there's any way to handle characters like that?

Robyn.
I am the workingman, the inventor, the maker of the world's food and clothes.
I am the audience that witnesses history.
- Carl Sandburg, I am the People, the Mob

351 Reviews

Reviews: 351
Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:41 am
ToritheMonster says...

Really, you just have to read the book a lot. Focus specifically on that character. Take notes. What do they do that's unusual e.g. quirks or ticks? What is their personality? How do they interact with others? Also note their language. Are they formal? Trash-mouthed? What effects the way they act e.g. past experiences. If you know the character inside-out; you will be able to write like them. Also keep in mind that Artemis is a genius. You might have to do side research on his mannerisms. People of incredibly high intellect, like Artemis, tend to be very sociopathic. You need to understand the way they act, and capture it. Keep a dictionary and thesaurus close by as well. Geniuses like big words. :D

Also, it's a fanfic. You control the character, no matter what. It's not a huge problem if it's not exactly like the original character. You can never completely replicate someone else's brainchild.

-Tori
Honey, you should see me in a crown.

So, please, oh please, we beg, we pray, go throw your TV set away, and in its place you can install a lovely bookcase on the wall.
— Roald Dahl