z

Young Writers Society

How many words should one write a day?

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:38 pm
LilacSabrie says...

And just how long should a writer write a day? Sorry, just a bit curious since I've heard that a person needs to write a million words before they are actually a writer. ^^; Thanks for the responses in advance!
A dream is a wish your heart makes-

Oh come now - I may be a cat but I most certainly do NOT bite! *mjau*

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:42 pm
Rosendorn says...

Short answer: As many as you want, even if that's zero.

Long answer: I've never really subscribed to the theory that you "have to" write every day, or a certain amount of words before you're a "writer." That turns writing into a job for me, and although I'd like to have a novel published one day, I do it mostly for fun. I write when I feel like it and have the time; sometimes that means a few thousand words a day while others it's none or only essays.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

262 Reviews

Reviews: 262
Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:49 am
ultraviolet says...

And to answer your other question, no, you don't have to write a million words. And how would you even know if you had, given all that we write in our lifetimes. Personally, I believe that to be a writer, all you have to do is write, plain and simple. Of course, there are different kinds of writers. Sure, to be an author, you have to have published something in some form, but to be a writer? No. Every one of us that submits something here is a writer, because we choose to be.

I know that there are people out there that don't hold that belief, but that's the thing; it's a belief. There is no set-in-stone rule for being a writer or not. Everyone is going to tell you different things. After a while, you make up your own beliefs, just like with everything else.
"Blah blah blah. You feel trapped in your life. Here is what I am hearing: happiness isn't worth any inconvenience."

~asofterworld.com

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:41 pm
Firearris says...

I have to agree with Rosey. I don't think you really have to write every single day, and not for a specific time/specific amount of words. Write as much as you want to as little as you want for as long as you want as often as you want! (Long strange sentence, there!)

If you are really wanting to speed up getting a first draft on something, or if you do want a specific word count each day, maybe set a daily goal along the lines of 250, 500, or perhaps even 1000 words a day, or something that sounds reasonable to you. Something that can be pretty helpful is an outline to your story, if you already have it sort of planned out in your head. It's a good way to keep track and write the actual story without distractions/random ideas, if that's how you prefer to write. :D

Anyways though, back to the main topic. You don't have to write any specific amount, but if you really want to, set an easy goal for yourself. If it's too easy, make it slightly harder. ^.^

--Heather
[Griffinkeeper] 10:45 pm: The guard appears "We have weasels now!"
[Firearris] 10:45 pm: askes the guard for the weasel!
[Griffinkeeper] 10:45 pm: The guard gives Firearris the Weasel.
[Firearris] 10:46 pm: aquires the weasel and renames it "Cat"

Take that, Lumi.

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:55 pm
LilacSabrie says...

That makes sense. I was only worried because of what 'qualifies' as a writer to some experienced writers. Although, I can safely say I feel much, much better after hearing some feedback. Thanks, you guys! :D
A dream is a wish your heart makes-

Oh come now - I may be a cat but I most certainly do NOT bite! *mjau*

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Fri May 06, 2011 9:17 pm
Dynamo says...

You could always try participating in a storybook or two. Everything I know about writing I learned by writing stories with others on YWS.
Chicken <-- Egg <-- Rocket Powered Fist
Take that, science!

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:09 pm
babymagic18 says...

I write as many words a day as I feel comfortable with. I don't push myself to write a certain number. If I write too many for my taste I'll make a lot of mistakes and I've realized that. So I take my time and whatever comes just comes and that's really all there is to it. Don't go searching for what others say is how many words you should write just find your own word count and make it happen!

178 Reviews

Reviews: 178
Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:22 pm
Paracosm says...

Write as much as you want, but try to write everyday. Like everyone else has said, a certain number of words doesn't make you a writer. Keeping a journal is good practice because it motivates you to write at least once a day, and so you get practice at least once a day. I agree with Dynamo, storybooks and role-playing are great ways to get practice because you don't feel so pressured.

Also, don't ever erase anything that you write. Even if it's the most awful thing you've ever read, you wrote it for a reason whether you realize it or not. Okay, that was completely off subject, so I'll conclude with a heart-filled, "Keep writing!"
Review unto others as you would have others review unto you.

Don't panic!

Also, Shino!

Stupid risks make life worth living.
— Homer Simpson